New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poor Remington brass quality !
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have always been a fan of Remington products, but I guess I have to admit they are slipping.
The quality of their brass as of late is pretty poor.

I bought a bunch of Remington .338 Win Mag brass in bulk and thought I had a good deal. Well, the necks are so brittle that some of them split. Not at firing, but after sitting on the shelf for a couple of months after being loaded.

My buddy and I are both having lousy case life in our .300 Weatherby rifles when using Remington brass, we are going back to Weatherby brass.

Yesterday I decided to load a batch of 7mm BR ammo for my XP-100. I opened a brand new box of a hundred Remington cases. I ran them through the Redding Bushing die to true the necks, chamfered the necks, chamfered the primer flash holes,etc. I started seating Remington 7 1/2 primers in them and suddenly one seated WAY too easily. I tapped it on the bench and the primer just simply fell out!! Well, four of the hundred had primer pockets so large that they will not hold a primer.

But, I guess Remington is not the only one who screws up. I bought a bag of 50 Winchester cases for the .338 Win Mag after being upset with the Remington stuff. Inside the bag I found a case that was a 7mm Rem Mag, not of much use in the .338 Winchester until you necked it up. However, the real surprise was that this case had no primer flash hole!! There was primer pocket, but no hole into the case. Great quality control!

Just never know what you will get these days.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R Flowers:
The quality of their brass as of late is pretty poor.
I bought a bunch of Remington .338 Win Mag brass in bulk and thought I had a good deal. Well, the necks are so brittle that some of them split. Not at firing, but after sitting on the shelf for a couple of months after being loaded.

That's not new. A few years ago I bought a box of factory loaded Remington 7,62 x 39 SP cartridges. About half of them had their neck split already. I sent them back to factory and indeed received a cheque.

Forget these third-world-standard products assembled by drunken monkeys. Rather, use renowned quality cartridges such as Serbian Prvi Partizan.

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah well I thought I was the only one, brought a batch of Rem 375H&H brass, the brass is pitted, looks like they`ve been in the tumbler for a few day and the lenghts and necks are all over the place..had to resize and trim the lot some did and some didn`t....

Posts: 115 | Location: Vic Australia | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just sent some bullets back to Remington. The cannelures were almost non-existant on some and the lengths varied as much as .060" on a .224 cal. Some had beveled bases, some were flat. I think the stuff comes out of mexico now. Quality went out the door when they opened it for NAFTA.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
R Flowers,
Remington is not alone. I bought some new brass for my 300 Win Mag last month. Winchester brand, in a bag of 50 cases. Some of the primer pockets were too big to hold primers. I've never had problems with the quality of brass from Lapua, but you pay for that difference. It's sad that quality control is what it is today, but we either pay more for quality, or count on rejecting a few cases of the cheaper stuff.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought some factory winchester .243 that Wal-Mart had on sale recently just to get the brass
for reloading and out of 20 fired cases I had to
throw away 3 with split necks after only one firing. 1 of the three was split down into the shoulder. I think we should all write to Winchester and remington and do a little complaining. The companies should know that they
are getting too loose with QC or cutting corners
that could result in injury or death litigation.
And by the way, the factory fodder didn't group
well at 100 and 200 yards either. I wonder where
this brass is coming from? Anybody know for sure?
The same thing happened with their gun manufacturing and now their components are in the
toilet as well. BLR7 [Frown]

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Looks like I was wrong. After batches and batches of new Rem 221 fireball brass split on me whilst necking down to 17Mach 4, I wrote Remington re splitting 98% of new cases during necking down in a 3 step form set. They were polite but said that there were no guarantees with their product as I was reforming the brass. It was suggested that I alleal the cases before necking down.

So I allealed and behold the split rate dropped to zero untill the first firing when 100% split.

Now I reform Winchester 222Rem Brass neck down and rarely lose a case. It is a lot more work pushing the shoulder back, trimming and neck turning but it is worth it.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with PMC brass in the 7MAG and 22-250. Gonna get some for my 243.

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen
Tag along with me on this.
Time was you could go into Sears and most everything was top of the line, quality wise. Then the Sears people started drumming up sales by dropping the price. Sears had to put the squeeze on their vendors to lower the vendors price so Sears could make the same profit, when Sears had a 'sale'. By the way, this is the reason High Standard went under, Sears squeezed High Standard to death, then dropped them when Sears stopped their own firearms line.
I like good furniture, try finding good furniture outside of custom built or antique. The furniture makers have been squeezed by the big buyers to make furniture that looks like good stuff but costs little or nothing to manufacture. How long has it been since we saw dovetailed drawers, solid wood?
Most guns shops don't make any money on new guns. I know at least one gun shop here in Richmond that is going to'we'll order it but we'll stock none!' The gunshops hope to make money on the accessories and supplies and only those that can buy the mercandise by the boat load can get enough proffit to survive.
What I'm saying is, we the consummer of guns, furniture have driven the retailers, manufacturers into an unteniable position. They cannot make money selling us quality and make a proffit, so they sell us crap and make a little proffit. Some how the idea that businesses make a proffit and proffit is the only reason those businesses exist, is an anathma to the average American.
The Americans buy crap then spend a fortune having gunsmith fixing it up to make it acceptable or learn to do it our selves.
Take a look at our houses built in the past 30 years, the autos, guns, furniture, even our food have you eaten a tender tomato recently?. Everything we buy is created to look like quality while being made in the cheapest manner from the cheapest materials.
Who is at fault? We are!
OK I'm through with my rant.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is sad, but you speak the truth, wonder what the future holds for us.

Posts: 176 | Location: the rock | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only way we can change this low guality issue
is to "boy-cott" (stop buying) the merchandise and
spread the word to other shooting and reloading
enthusiasts. We represent several million buyers
but unfortunately many of them only purchase a
single box of ammo right before deer season. So
write or e-mail the manufacturer and tell them
you have access to thousands of hunting and shooting enthusiasts that will stop buying their
products if they do not address these issues. Then
spread the word to all you know and watch what happens. American manufacturing used to be the best in the world but corporate greed is responsible for this mess, not the blue collar
workers. Point of aim is their pocket book, it
works every time! There is enough of us to make
a differance! BLR7! [Cool]

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't even start on this "Corp greed" load of BS. Businesses are in business to make money. Businesses are made up of individuals who need money to live. Hence the business need for profit.
You (collectively here), on the other hand, try to save whatever money you make so you can buy more junk. So who do you buy from? The cheapest supplier. Until you decide that you don't really need that money and decide to buy less from more expensive producers, you will always have producers squeezing wherever they can to lower costs. Is that so difficult?
And don't give me all this offshore BS. I don't like it, it hurts my business too, I've been without work and without a raise for 3 years now, but that is the only way that underdeveloped countries can become developed. Eventually we'll have to get our cheap stuff from other places as the now cheap places get expensive. For better or worse, we may find that we are the cheap place in the future.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Everybody has an OPENION and a BACKSIDE.Here is my openion on brass:
Winchester and Federal is best
Remmington is SOFT and splits too easy.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Here's what Winchester did for me when I had one piece of brass missing from a bag of 308, 2 coupons, 1 for $5, one for $10, to buy any reloading product Win. makes. Now thats what I call Customer Service. Get ahold of these companies when they screw up, they want your continuing business. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I've got a thousand Remington 30-06 cases that I use for making lots of one hundred cases for my 375 Whelen. I uniform the primer pockets and the flash hole after fire forming, I also turn the necks to a uniform thickness. I've not lost a case to splits or any manufacturing defect that I know of. I've scrunched a few reloading them, stepped on several... I'll most likely die before I use up all these cases. By the way I use 35 Whelen full house loading data with hard cast bullets in this rifle, it's never had a jacketed bullet down it's tube.
I've got one thousand 25-06 cases from Remington that I use in the same one hundred case lots. I follow the same process. I'll retire these after four or five reloadings.
I've been shooting the Remington cases for a while, but I've got no complaints about Remington brass.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree there seems to be a problem with brass manufacture, especially the bulk brass. I don't think the major manufacturers are directly involved. Much of it is job-lotted out or as someojne said earlier, made elsewhere like Mexico. I see the same thing with the rifle scopes made in China. Someday great optics may come from there, but not today. My credo is this: "If you want to sell it here, then make it here!" Okay, it'll cost a bit more. I'll snarl and pay it, but don't sell me inferior junk, made in the "Nevergetaway Islands." There, I feel better for expressing that. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quite frankly I like the availability of some less expensive, lower quality products. There are certain applications that call for such a product. What I really like is when there is a variety of products to purchase, from the cheep low quality on upwards to the high quality products.

I tend to get frustrated when there are no available alternatives. Example is brass for the Ultra Mag cartridges. Because the RUM is a relatively new chambering, to date I have only been able to purchase Remington Brass. I expect that due to Remington Brass's cheep/poor-quality reputation that eventually other manufacturers will jump on the RUM band-wagon. Until then I guess I'll have to suffer through with the only product available. [Frown]

Posts: 5 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 04 June 2003Reply With Quote