New
Find
Notify
Tools

best small pistol primer for progressive press
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have noticed differences between brands of primers in terms of ease of feeding and seating in a Hornady AP press. Old CCI were the most difficult with PMC (Russian manufacture) being a little easier and Federal being the most reliable feeding and easiest to seat. According to recent Speer manuals, CCI primers have been redimensioned to better suit progressive presses. Before I go and order in a case of primers (can't get small quantities to try first) any one suggest their favourite for loading on a progressive. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's probably your Hornady press that's finicky.

My Dillon Square Deal B and RL550B never have primer seating problems. And I use Remington, Winchester, Federal and CCI primers to load 32 H&R mag, 9mm, 9x18 Makarov, 38 spcl\357mag, 380ACP, 357 SIG, 44mag, 45ACP, 45 Colt.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I'd have to agree
My Dillon RL550B Will digest any primer you put in it. I've used Remington, CCI, Winchester.
I load approximately 500 rounds of 9mm at a sitting and just about as much 45 ACP, 7x57 a few hundred rounds at a time. I have more issue with the cases then anything else.

I'd try cleaning the mechanism that feeds and seats the primers.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cleanliness isn't an issue. I keep a compressor handy to blow out any accumulated powder granules etc. What I noticed with the CCI and PMC primers was just occasionally, perhaps one percent, the primer slide wouldn't pick up a primer and that resulted in a powder spill if I didn't notice it. That didn't happen with Federal primers. I've bevelled and polished all the primer feed bits in the press and while it no longer fails to pick up CCI or PMC primers occasionally the feed sticks in its initial movement then snaps into place, something I don't like happening with primers. None of this happens with Federal primers so I am assuming tiny dimensional differences or shapes are responsible. This is relatively infrequent now and obvious when it happens so I can check that all is well. However my main reason for asking this question is the marked difference in pressure I need to apply to seat the different brands of primers. The Federals seat easily whereas the other two are significantly harder to seat, so much so that I find that I hold onto the press with my left hand to apply a little counterforce so the bench doesn't rock and I have a reasonably sturdy bench. I would just keep on using Federal but for the warnings about primers in feed systems and how Federal are supposed to be the most sensitive to sympathetic explosion so I am exploring other possibilities. As I stated, apparently CCI have changed the dimensions of their primers to suit progressive presses and their primer feeds so I was asking if anyone could compare the seating ease of the brands. Perhaps I should specifically ask the question of Hornady AP owners. Thanks again

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzie:
Perhaps I should specifically ask the question of Hornady AP owners.

Pretty poor response, so far. At least on this forum.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I prefer winchester or Remington. Early CCI primers were suspect for sticking in tubes according to Dillon. CCI corrected the problem and I use them all the time without a problem.
Federal is also good.

Posts: 21 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Registered: 01 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Well after looking at the design I'd say it's possible that the priming system is binding a bit. There's a lot going on, on that press.
I know my Dillon will bind if the priming system mounting bolts are to tight and it won't properly seat if the system is not in alignment.
I know I'm blaming the machine but It's one possibility that should be eliminated.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote