New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad experience with spray oil
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Smiler I recenly bought a bottle of Dillon case spray lube. I have always used the old RCBS pad with no problems. Today I decided to try the spray and placed 6 cases in a small plastic container and lightly sprayed them. Then I rolled them around, stood them up and lightly sprayed the inside of the necks. I let then set a few minutes while getting the FL die set up. The first case came out with 10 dents all around the shoulder. I wiped the next case off some and it came out with 2 dents. Sop I washed the remaining cases in alcohol, dried , got out the old RCBS pad, oiled them, used the old Q tip to oil the inside of the neck and resized without any problem. I had asked in a post if anyone had experience the shoulders denting from spraying but it didn't seem to have happen to much. Any suggestions?

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use a lot less lube.

I use RCBS spray lube. I stand fifty cases in a Midway loading block and give the whole batch about a one second burst from two directions. I spray from above the cases so that the inside of the necks get lubed simultaneously

Idaho Shooter

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's why I use WD-40....I never get oil dents.

(And I'm careful to clean it off the brass after sizing)

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use cheap Dollar Store cooking spray. It works very well but you have to clean it off right after you finish resizing your cases because it will dry and get sticky. It cleans up very nicely in hot water and dish soap if you don't let it dry. I dry about 150 of them in a 10" skillet on my stovetop at medium-low heat; it's quick and I can shake them around to get the water out.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1 can of imperial (now redding) die wax will last you 1/2 your loading career and does not dent when lightly applied.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a cheapskate...80w/90 gear lube works, but stinks.

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Hornady "One Shot" case lube, stand your cases up in your reloading block and spray at 45 degree angle turn the block and do it again. Comes off really easy, won't dent your shoulder, unless you put like way too much on, I suppose. Never had any dents, myself. The easiest and the best. Oh, and the fastest. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I use Hornady one-shot and spray a full loading block at the same 45 degree angle. I can't remember seeing one shoulder dent and have never stuck a case and I'm on my fourth can of it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Imperial sizing wax and will never go back to anything else! Best invention since fire and the wheel.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
I use Lyman quick spray and have never had any problems at all!

Blob1 seems to me you use too much on em!

Regards

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Hornady One Shot, just set all the cases standing up and spray one side at 45 degrees, repeat with the back and just throw all of em in the resizer. I never have had any problems so far with more than 1,000 rounds through it. It does sound like you are using way too much lube, just one spray is enough as if you spray too much, the excess oil from the first case will stay in the resizer and add onto the adjacent case denting it.

Posts: 149 | Location: western Iowa | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerI know some folks who use this spray a lot so guess I just thought I was going easy with it! I will try a few cases and EASE the oil to them next time. i f I get any easier this should last about 15 years! thumb

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sako:
I use Lyman quick spray and have never had any problems at all!

Blob1 seems to me you use too much on em!

Regards

Unfortunately, it gives me problems. I get alot of dents because of build up in the die. I've tried using the most minimal spray and at a great distance but I still eventually get the dents. Furthermore, I find the cases don't glide through the die as easy as the RCBS lube. I really like the simplicity of spraying in the loading block but decided to return to the RCBS pad and lube.

I'm hearing better results coming from the Hornady One Shot. I'm going to give it a try.

-------------------------------
Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Mink Oil. Just a little - I mean very little - on the outside of my thumb then I roll the casing up against my thumb. Size then wipe the case clean with a paper shop towel. Picked up on the Mink Oil for an old timer many years ago. It's quick, has never failed me, and clean up is instant, plus I save a lot of time.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Imperial on my small batches and Dillon spray lube on the big batches...it only takes a few squirts of the Dillon so go easy. Just make sure the spray lube is dry...its a lanolin based lube with an alcohol carrier. Give the alcohol time to evaporate and use less lube...it really goes a long way...I've done over 5,000 .308 cases with one bottle of Dillon spray.

posted Hide Post
Go with the One Shot. I tried most everything else because the One Shot is a bit more $$. I now know it is worth every penny.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerWell I know this stuff works well for some but I am really having trouble with it. I finally lightly sprayed it on a pad, rolled a few cases in it, and lubed the inside of the neck with a q tip and RCBS lube. The first few were ok but then came the stuck case! I have never had a stuck case with RCBS lube. Fixing to remove the case. Maybe I am not letting the cases sit long enough before goin ginto the die. On emore try and then the wife can use it to oil her cabinet door hinges with it!

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Imperial sizing die wax - tossed everything else
except motor-mica for inside case necks.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckshot:
I'm a cheapskate...80w/90 gear lube works, but stinks.

I use it too, with very good results.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerHow do you apply the die wax? I have never seen any used.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Ive been meaning to give the spray stuff a try but I still have two more bottles of Lee case lube that I use with an RCBS pad.

You guys getting dents on the shoulder should try lubing the lower half of the cases only. That is all you really need and it wont hurt anything to make sure you use enough to not get them stuck. For the necks I just wipe a tad on the end of the case about every third or fourth case from a lightly lubed area of the pad. You can feel when the die needs a little more lube in that area.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forty years ago I started with the greasy lube in the ink pad method--because that was the way Daddy did it. Then I used the Dillon,Hornady,etc spray with the holders. This was fast and a huge improvement over the pad.
Now I use Imperial wax for everything--period. By the time you shake up your can of lube, find the aluminum case holders, stack the cases, spray, let dry, then clean up your spray mess, I will have already finished the same number of cases and will be enjoying a beer. Boy, when you go through two small tins of Imperial you have flat been doing some shooting.

Posts: 251 | Location: TX | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blob1:
SmilerHow do you apply the die wax? I have never seen any used.

Use your fingers. I get a dab between my thumb & forefinger, a quick rub as I'm picking up the case is enough lube for my 223 cases. I can lube around 5 or 6 before I have to get more on my fingers. A can of Imperial has lasted me for 4 years now but I only use it for small batches, say 20 cases or less. Larger batches get a quick spray of Dillon.

Rick

Posts: 178 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Old Elk Hunter.
20 years ago an older gent gave me a tin of Imperial Sizing Die Wax. I've tried a few of the spray lubes, and not found them any faster or better than Imperial. Just a little dab on your finger and thumb, every 4 cases or so, works great!

NRA Life Member

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern Michigan, USA | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smilerwell just because your dad used the old pad sure don't make it wrong or some kind of old time evil. It still works just fine and I don't drink beer so don't hurry to get to one. I used the spray to oil just the lower part of the case and oiled the outside of the neck with my fingers and the inside with a Q tip. Got a stuck case, lost a new case and damaged the expander getting it out. Never had this happen with RCBS lube. Not calling this spray a new time evil either, just haven't had good luck with it so far no matter which way I go.
1. Spray cases in plastic bucket-dents
2. Spray cases in holding tray-dents
3. Spray pad and roll cases-stuck case
4. Spray and use fingers-stuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerI have used the RSBS lube witout the pad. Just using fingers and smear a little on the case then oil the inside of case. No problem with it that way at all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Blob1,
If you're unwilling to try Imperial sizing die wax, and the dents from the spray is giving you fits, why not go back to the tried and true--RCBS?

Just for the record: I use Imperial for all the rifle cases that I don't neck size with the Lee collet die, and use Midway spray on straight wall pistol cases, even in carbide dies. In 34 years of handloading I have never stuck a case that wasn't my fault, eg. I was distracted and FORGOT to lube the case. But I regularly dented shoulders using RCBS lube and the foam pad. After a few years the foam pad came apart, apparently the lube softened it. That's when I pitched it in the bin and tried Imperial sizing die wax. Am I glad I did. As for lubing inside the case neck: motor-mica never worked up to my expectations. The expander ball still squeaked occasionally. But not when I use Imperial inside neck lube. 2 good products I wouldn't want to be without.

The good ol' days of reloading are NOW!!!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerMan here we go again! I never said I was unwilling to try the wax. Just saying I haven't had good luck with the spray and asked for some info. I tried it all and still had problems. Now what would you do, keep sticking and denting caes or fall back on something that you know works for you? If you like it and it workd wonders for you, then go for it! I was asking for advice on how to use it and -well ayway I am gone and done! Eeker Eeker

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I shoot/load way too much to apply wax on each individual case.

-------------------------------
Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerTried a real light spray and waited a few minutes and the dents kept coming! So I sprayed the car door hinges and it worked good-if they don't freeze up on me! How do you remove a stuck door with out tearing anything up. Will worry about this tonight until I get to try the door tomorrow. Hey guys if this stuff does wonders for you, man keep using it! But as for me I went back to RCBS. Not kicking the spray just the results!

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Imperial die wax is what I use for 95% of my reloading. My 500 Mag's I use the old RCPS lube and pad. Big Grin

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote