THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Desperately need a subsonic 223 Remington hog load

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Desperately need a subsonic 223 Remington hog load
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I have a Ruger bolt action compact; 16.5" barrel 1:9 twist.

Looking for proven recipes - range <100 yards

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Anything guys?

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
You can get just under 1090 fps. with a 55 grain bullet using 4.4 grains of BLUE DOT. It would be safer to use a 22 LR at close to that velocity. Would either be truly effective on HOGS?? Confused Beats the pee out of me. homerroger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really do not mean to be snarky but WHY?
You did not say it would be suppressed-at subsonic speeds all you eliminate is the sonic crack but the report should be quite noticeable.
Like Bartsche said-will it even work on a hog. Got to be a better way or tell us the reason for subsonic.
Just wonderin'

Gary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you would have to play with the load some.
but i was using pure lead cores with a lr primer cup [gas check] swaged into a flat 6s nose shape and 2 canellures turned on them for holding lube, then pushing them with 4.4 grs of unique.
very very accurate out to 75yds, and if i hollow pointed them, very devastating to small animals.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I suggest you just order some of these. . .

Extremely accurate at 50 yards out of my Savage 10 FP-SR rifle. The only thing you hear is the firing pin striking the primer and the "whap" of the round hitting the berm.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
thsnks

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedRusty, for what game do you use that ammo ?? bewildered roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once upon a time, I was hunting squirrels and rabbits with my little Browning 22LR Semiauto.

Then I saw some pigs in the distance. So I loaded up the rifle with the Quick Shok 22 LR ammo, which is supposed to be good for larger game.

The stalk began. I got really close, inside 20 yards. I picked a smaller pig, as I only had a 22 LR.

The shot was good, but the pig took off. shocker

The follow up began. It was quite long, but one of my best tracking jobs ever. I finally got to with in 4 or 5 yards or so, and the pig turned to face me and a couple of rapid head shots put him down.

The first shot was tight at the rear of the shoulder. The Quick Shok bullet did exactly as advertized. It seperated into three pieces and gave good penetration.
I was able to trace all three paths of the seperated bullet through the lungs.

Problem was, it just did not damage enough of the lungs to be rapidly effective.

So now IMHO, I just do not think a 22 LR or a 223 Subsonic is an adequate pig gun.

Even if you do not plan to recover the meat,[which is a shame as wild pig meat is the best four legged meat around, IMHO] I think the animal deserves a quick death.

I do not even shoot wild pigs with full power 223 ammo...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
No sir, I have not used the ammo on game. As Tony said, I would be hesitant to use it on a large pig. It should be more than adequate for varmints at close range.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Why would anyone bring a .223 Rem down below a .22LR

Why?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
If you run a 65, 69 or 77 grain bullet at 1080 ft/secs you are not dropping below a .22 LR unless you are including the supersonic .22 LR's.

I do agree that to use such a ballistic challenged
diminutive power for sporting purposes is at best questionable.

Those are my opinions...

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote