New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler bullets - What if?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I spent the better part of my load work-up over the last year with the new 200 grain Accubond in my .300 Winchester Magnum. Getting superb velocity and accuracy with 80.0 grains of H1000 with no visible signs of pressure. However, I just primed some cases fired with said load and the pockets are not very tight any more. So much for no pressure signs.

Anyway, I am working with Retumbo right now to equal velocity performance at lower pressures but don't know how that is going to work out yet.

I am now starting to ponder over the use of the 180 grain version of the Accubond if this experiment does not work out. The question is this: Could a person do load workup with the 180 grain Ballistic tip (same ballistic coefficient and shape as the accubond) and expect the same results out of the Accubond. In theory this seems like a reasonable expectation, but what about reality? If it would work then a person could shoot the cheaper ballistic tips for practice and smaller game and then shoot the Accubond at larger game without any change in load.

Has anyone else thought about this or tried it? What are your thoughts on this one? Am I looney, or could I be on to something?

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In theory, it sounds like it could work...the only thing I can think would make a difference is the fact that since the accubond is bonded, and has a thicker jacket towards the base, the deformation as it travels down the barrel could be different than the regular ballistic tip. I would imagine that this would relate to different pressures.

Posts: 264 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 12 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
I would go about it another way. Rather than try to use the same load with a 180gr BT (can't help you on your safety question) I would find a cheaper bullet like a Sierra GameKing (180 and/or 200gr) and find an accurate load for that. Once you've got that dialed in you can use it to practice on paper.

I've been using the 168 and 190gr MatchKing to practice field positions and it looks like I might have to find an even cheaper alternative because it will take a lot more shooting before I can qualify as a decent shot away from the bench. Reason for the MatchKing loads is that from a solid benchrest they'll shoot 1/2MOA or less all day long. That removes the most popular excuse for bad shooting - the equipment. Once I'm on the ground and shooting all over the target I know I can't blame the rifle or the load.

Nothing wrong with your idea, just my input.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it should work. I would just give Nosler a call. They are very heplful. I just work up a load with what ever bullet I have around for practice. I don't adjust the scope but you can still measure you groups just fine for the accuracy part. The premium bullets are too expensive to shoot just to shoot. (That is a big thing that I have seen why people don't like Brand A or Brand B bullets. "It cost too much")

You can practice with any load. I load up different stuff all the time for practice and the point of impact might change some but my shooting technique will show if I have a bad day.

Good Luck

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloading has all sorts of idiocyncracies.

I use H 1000, 83 grains worth with a 220 grain Hornady Round Nose in mine, and primer pockets loosening has never been a problem with this load.

The bullet is seated to the cannelure.

Cheers and Good Shooting
Seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I interchange 168 Matchkings, Nosler 165 Gr BT, and Partition with little difference in impact point. My philosophy is that absolute impact point is only critical on game, so I zero with my game bullet and just watch the group size during practice.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote