New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronograph Problems
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Pro Chrono chronograph by Competition Electronics. Today I went to the range and could only get two rounds to register, even though I shaded the windows. It has always seemed unduly sensitive to the sun. Unfortunately at the range you do not have much leeway as to the direction you shoot.

However, today it seemed that no matter what I did it would not register, except the two rounds.
Anybody else have such problems with their chronographs?

Thanks,
Jerry

Posts: 391 | Location: NM | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
jERRY, i HAD A SIMULAR PROBLEM WHEN THE SUN WAS DIRECTLY OVER HEAD AND NOT A CLOUD IN THE SKY.
Also my battrie was gettin low replaced it and have not had any ather problems.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry, I experience the same problems with my Shooting Chrony. Assuming it's not the battery, I sometimes resort to using extra shading over the windows; i.e., in addition to the "sky screens." Try taping translucent plastic cut from empty milk containers over the windows or a piece of translucent Scotch tape by itself. Remove the Scotch tape when you're done as it tends to deteriorate with age.

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes your bullets may be too shiny in sunny conditions. You may want to mark up the exposed area of the bullet with a black market.

That has solved the problem for me before.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
I am going to try the tape. I may also try to blacken the bullets.

I had installed a new battery that I checked with a multimeter to insure it was good.
I also shaded the chrono windows by placing some cardboard in a position so that the windows were shaded. That worked for two rounds. After that it stopped registering.

I am going to use the Scotch tape and will post the results when I do it. I hope it works as I hate to have to send it back.

It has always been very sensitive to the position of the sun. The time of day was from 10 - 12.

Jerry

Posts: 391 | Location: NM | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought it was just me. I wondered if it wasn't enough light. Let us know how things work out.

Posts: 101 | Location: Canada | Registered: 26 October 2002Reply With Quote
<David>
posted
I had the same problems with a Shooting Chrony. Sent it back and they sent a new one. Still had the problem. So I put it on the shelf and bought an Oehler. Problem solved. It never misses a read, even in bright sunlight at any time of day. And we have plenty of bright sunny days in Sacramento.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I found that when my Oehler stops reading as it's getting dusk I can put on the diffusers for another 20-30minutes and it works fine. I don't use the diffusers unless it's a clear blue sky, light intensity is lower than when it's cloudy. I had a problem the other day but the fog was thick enough you couldn't see more than 100 yards at some moments. Light was really low and we'd get a reading here and there but the light just wasn't enough no matter what we tried.

The Cronys will act like you never even shot over them if the light gets too dim, sometimes giving error too but mainly no reading or just erronious ones. Muzzle blast will sometimes mess with them too and it doesn't hurt to put them out 15-25 feet to elliminate this on the big blasters. Good luck. They all have limitations in wrong light. The Oehler is much more consistant than the two Cronys I've had though. Use a black marker to blacken the bullets and see if it helps when you start having a bad time with it.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Blackening the bullets... Why didn't I thimk of that! [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just for the record, it was an Oehler 35P that was having problems for us. I don't remember the bullet type but I remember they were quite shiny. The black Sharpie solved the problem.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote