New
Find
Notify
Tools

h110 and dillon 550
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
About a year ago I tried my 550 w/ h110, which is my favorite hunting load powder. I had bad results. The powder bridged and locked the powder dispenser up in about 20 strokes. Contacted Dillon and they said that h110 was too fine for their press.
So, I loaded w/ 2400. I was loading for a Smith Mtn Gun and not my Super Redhawk hunting gun anyhow.
Later on I found that 2400 was dumping pwder after the case was backed out of the die. Dillon told me to use the rifle(larger) dispenser since I was dropping 19gr.
No problems w/ 2400 after that.

Now I wonder if that may have been the problem w/ h110 in the first place.

Have others used h110 in the dillon fine?

Otherwise, I'll use my uniflow off press and just size, seat and crimp on the dillon

Posts: 90 | Location: albany,ny,usa | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 550 with 2 different powder measures and a Square Deal B with another powder measure and I use H110 with great results in all of them. If they would have told me I couldnt' use H110 then I wouldn't have bought them. That would also mean that you couldn't use ww231, AA9, ww296, and quite a few of the other smaller grained ball powders.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I have a 550 and use WC820 and other fine ball powders in it all of the time.

I have had no problems so far, but then I have only loaded a couple of thousand rounds so far.

LouisB

I have installeded the parts to switch my 550 powder measures to the positive return system offered on the new machines.

There have been a couple of issues with the measure/operations involved with unique circumstances, but I have never had a problem . . .

Who wait a minute . . .

The last mesure I bought was VERY sticky as received from the factory, but the judicious application of pencil lead and cycling the charge bar a couple of hundred times by hand solved that problem!

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I have not had a problem with 296 or H110 in my Dillon 550. I have also loaded WC820 which is a very fine ball powder without any problems. The only problem I've had with my small charge bar is when I turn it all the way out and it gets in a bind. Maybe thats where you were at? I have noticed a bit of a problem with large extruded powders as the charge bar may cut some of them. It isn't a problem with a bottlenecked case, but with a straightwalled case like the 45-70, then sometimes it will give excessive belling.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The way I see it, a powder measure that won't handle H110 is just a defective powder measure.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well, tried again with the larger bar. No go.
Started to get sticky in 20 strokes. Again, it spills and gums the bar.
I dont load a lot for hunting loads(100), so I'll do the powder drop from my bench mounted Uniflow, finish up on the Dillon.
Dillon was right, but it does stink. Seems some have had problems, some not

Posts: 90 | Location: albany,ny,usa | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded thousands of round through mine with H110 and 296 (so many rounds I have wore out the primer cup spring three times, one rep told me the spring can last as long as 10000 rounds). I have never had a problem. (The only inconvience is that the power measure is hard to adjust since there is no grduation markings.) I have loaded these powders in the dillion Lil Gun, 231, 296, H110 , HS7 and Titegroup with no problem. Something doesn't seem right. Clean everything real good with alchol or gun spray cleaner. Call Dillion again as they have been great to deal with. Something I think is wrong with your unit I think. I will say that the charge bar is goofed up with the weight it stops at then you have to go to the large bar. It is a pain with my big bore going from low power to full loads.

Good luck

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have the RL550b and have really never had a problem that wasn't due to my improper setup or maintenance. Could the measure or charge bar be getting any oil on it somehow? Maybe case lube buildup or something like that? Honestly don't know why the Dillon rep would tell you that about H110. Usually the coarser powders are harder to measure with the powder measure. Good luck, Mike.

Posts: 140 | Location: Irmo, SC | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a Dillon, but I can't dump H110 or W296 with my Pact Digital. I contacted Pact about this and was told that when they manufactured the digitals they got the specs. for H110 and W296 and made the bushings in the powder dispenser smaller than the specs. for the powders called for. Their only thoughts were that the grain size had been changed by Hodgdon and Winchester.

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually two Dillon reps told me this a year ago when I purchased the 550. I also have a 450 that I had used for years with ipsc. But never loaded any h110 in that. I had alsways used the h110 in my single stage operation. The two reps reffred to the powder as "baby powder".
I'm setup correctly and there is no oil. I've been loading 2400 a lot for my smith mtn gun. Its just that the h110 is able to spill out and get on the bar.