Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Am I messing up my 9mm reloads
 Login/Join

posted
Hello. I am attempting my first batch of 9mm Luger reloads. I'm loading 125 Jacketed hollow points and using 4.5 grains of Unique which is the Lyman reloading Guide's recommended amount on powder. The trouble (?) is coming with the OAL from the RCBS seating die. The loads look beautiful and the flare is completely gone. Lyman, however, says they should be 1.075" in OAL and the seating die varies by 2 thousands or so either side of 1.075". Is going over or under a problem for these? I want to fire them in a Glock, but I don't know how fickle they are as I just started shooting pistol. Also, I'm wondering if Lyman's suggestion on OAL is a bit short as I'm seeing many people talk about them in the 1.15 range. Thanks.
Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going under the OAL, which means you're seating the bullet deeper, will increase the pressue because it decreases the volume the powder is working in. The 9mm is touchy for this because that space is small to begin with. I would stick with what the manual suggests. The seating die should be very flexible on how much it can seat a bullet. It it's not you may not have the correct seating plug for the nose profile of the bullet you are using, but I really don't see that happening.

one of us
posted Hide Post
+/- .002 (1.073 to 1.077 OAL) dosen't mean shit, as you have more variation (seater contact point to nose) than that between bullets from the same box. Also consider that your total variation is less than the width of a human hair.
Buy a couple boxes of factory ammo and measure the OAL on them. That will give you something to consider on the variation in your handloads.

Now, if you were talking about a variation of +/- .030, than I'd agree with "SmokinJ" that you have a reason to worry.

Lyman tested the loading data at that length, and that is the length their data is valid for. As you're just starting out, stick with the data in your manual until you have a few thousand rounds under your belt (IE have gained more experance)

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More often than not in the 9 MM the OAL seating listed in the book may not function reliably in the pistol. Plus or minus adjustments are the rule IMHO with the 9 MM.

I would not be excited over a couple of 0.000's.

Greg

Posts: 137 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If you are seating & crimping in one step w/ mixed brass, a variation of 0.005" +/- is pretty common, not an issue. The 4.5gr of Unique is a pretty low charge wt though. I run closer to 5gr.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a subsonic load. Your dimensions (1.075) are right. 1.150 sounds like a 147 grain maybe. Does it function your slide properly? For bullseye to get a minimum recoil load you work up to where the slide cycles and locks back.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
Joe,

I've been reloading for awhile but just started with the 9mm.

I'm working with 124 gr. XTPs though. I am messing around with different lengths and will let you know what findings I come up with when I shoot this weekend.

Gonna start low enough and work on reliability first, accuracy second, and velocity a faaaaaar away third....

I think I have some loaded 1.11 or 1.115, but nothing shorter.

PS: I don't see thousandths mattering... at least not from a pressure standpoint with that charge amount of Unique.

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
300 H&H
I look forward to hearing about your results. Actually I am loading the exact same bullet--124gr XTP's. I'll be especially interested to hear which length you liked best. P.S. Isn't it a shame I posted this several days ago and clearly have not been shooting since? I ought to be committed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
9mm reloads in a Glock. Let me move away while still have my eyesight and all my fingers.

www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothke:
9mm reloads in a Glock. Let me move away while still have my eyesight and all my fingers.

Inferior product? It seems that the blame is reloads not the unsupported case wall. Gee, reloading is bad only buy factory produced ammo.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Joe Gunn:
I'm loading 125 Jacketed hollow points and using 4.5 grains of Unique which is the Lyman reloading Guide's recommended amount on powder.

Did you notice in your Lyman book (I'm looking at their latest, the 49th edition) that they used Sierra JHP #8125, NOT XTP's? Tell me how their OAL recommendation would mean anything if you're not going to follow their specific recipe? You cannot substitute components and expect Lyman's data to reflect your results.

BTW, .002" is nothing to fuss over...many bullet styles vary by more than that between individual bullets. Hollowpoints are especially random because of the way they're made.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Oops! I'm embarrassed. I'll have to follow up with 300 H&H to see how his came out. Although i MIGHT be safe, I'm glad you pointed that out because I don't like "MIGHT". Thanks.
Joe

One of Us
Picture of boondocker
posted Hide Post
I have fired around 6 to 7 k of lead in my 9mm Glock and have never felt unsafe doing it. My range sessions are from 100 to 200 rounds with a thorough cleaning after-wards. A lot of things to take into consideration is proper gun maintenance. I have seen folks pull firearms out of bags that looked like they where drug thru the mud. Like anything else operator error plays into effect, double charges, squibs and split reloaded cases to name a few. Ya rolls the dice and takes ya chances with anything. I have seen explosive womins that go from low to boom.

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

“The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left.”

When the SHTF he with the most lead will retain the most gold!

Posts: 647 | Location: Pa | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothke:

Inferior product? It seems that the blame is reloads not the unsupported case wall. Gee, reloading is bad only buy factory produced ammo.

It is still amazing to me that people are actually still spewing 10 year old shit as true now. It was three Glock versions ago and the Glocks now have their chambers MORE supported that my CZ or SIG. Reloading voids all warranties from all pistol companies.

To the question, I would reload according to the bullet manufacturer recommendations and you should be fine. The amounts of variance you note are no problem.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm wondering if Lyman's suggestion on OAL is a bit short as I'm seeing many people talk about them in the 1.15 range. Thanks.

SAAMI calls the OAL length range for the 9mm 1.00-1.169". My old Hornady book calls 4.5 as the starting load 5.1 as max for Unique.

QL also call it light with something in the range of 5.1-5.3 as max.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
"It is still amazing to me that people are actually still spewing 10 year old shit as true now. It was three Glock versions ago and the Glocks now have their chambers MORE supported that my CZ or SIG. Reloading voids all warranties from all pistol companies.

To the question, I would reload according to the bullet manufacturer recommendations and you should be fine. The amounts of variance you note are no problem."

I thought that was interesting too because when I read the article it also mentioned some factory loads had been blamed too. Either way, I appreciate all the input on this fantastic board. You guys have forgotten more than I'll ever know. And you I think are RIGHT ON--From now on, I go with the bullet manufacturers' recs. These loads will wait till I have the Hornady book, and get "pulled" if need be and reset to proper length. I'm damn glad I stopped here first.
Joe

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I don't have the 124 XTP in Hornady #4 but the 124 fmj flat point is listed as 1.050 for over all length and 4.7 to 5.1 gr of Unique. The 1.075 you list for the XTP may be right. if you have a loaded round measure it for length. Looking at 124 XTPs there is just a little of the shank exposed in a loaded round.

http://www.hornady.com/store/9mm-Luger-124-gr-XTP/