Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 Rem Loads -HELP- '~
 Login/Join

<TGWoody>
posted
I'm about to load some 22-250 REM,

Need some recommendations for loads, I'm thinking of Nosler 55gr Spitzer's and powders loads with Hodgdon VARGET.

Thanks,

TGW

------------------
Where ever you go. .. there you are.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Try Varget and the 40 gr Nosler BT. I just developed this load for a buddie's 22-250 and it does 4100 fps and .270 group at 100 yds.

------------------
"Certified Rifle Crank!"

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
38.4gn of H380 pushing 55gn V-Max's gives me 3603fps and sub half-inch groups. Suits me for foxing.

------------------
tikka 3 barrels

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TGW, you are on the right track for your 22-250. I think you will find that most any of the polymer tipped spitzers available now shoot pretty good. My rifles just seem to shoot the 55 grain Hornady V-Max a little better, but my dad shoots nothing but the Nosler Ballistic Tips.

As far as powders go you are looking in the right direction there too. I tried Varget and it seemed to burn clean and give consitant velocities on the chronograph. However, once again, my rifles just seem to do better with H 4895. I currently own three 22-250 rifles and have worked up loads on a few more and I keep coming back to H 4895. It just seems to work in just about every 22-250 that I try it in.

When you think you have your 22-250 load all figured out take the time to try a few different primers. Sometimes this makes a big difference in getting that last little bit of performance in regard to group size.

After trying more combinations that I care to admit in a bunch of 22-250 rifles, I keep coming back to a couple of loads:

Fed 210M primer/36.0 H 4895/50 grain bullet
Fed 210M primer/35.5 H 4895/55 grain bullet

Good Luck, R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
<heavy varmint>
posted
R Flowers, thanks for that post, I had heard so much about Varget and H-380 in the 22-250 that I thought my Win. M70 was a fluke because it likes 4895 best. Glad to see theres at least 3 more like it. IMR 4895 workes well to, at least in my rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am trying to find a load for my 22-250. Bought Benchmark and 50 grain V-max and am getting good groups and over 3800 fps with the max book load. Only shot two tests with it though, but looks good for now. If this doesn't work, I'm going to try Varget.

------------------
Shane Marquardt

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
heavy varmint -
I or H4895 has proven much better than Varget in my experience with a number of 22-250's. When Varget first came out, there was much hullabaloo about it in the gun press, but, I haven't been able to find ANY instance where it worked better than a previously established "best" load.

R Flowers' loads listed are superb in my latest, a 700 VSSF, using Federal match brass. I have found CCI's BR 2 primers give slightly better accuracy than F210M's in this 22-250.

If you have some lying around, give Hornady 53 grain match hollowpoints a try. They also work well in .223's.

Aren't 22-250's a blast to work with? I have yet to see one that wouldn't shoot well with almost any combination, and, superbly once the 'right' combination is found. That's been my experience, anyway.

Good luck,

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<TGWoody>
posted
Thanks for all the help, it looks like I'll have to try some H4895 also.

TGW

<Reloader66>
posted
Leave no stone unturned when developing loads for any rifle. Don't worry about velocity with a 22-250, just worry about accuracy. The 22-250 will give more than enough velocity with the 50, 52, 55 grain bullets. The most compatible powders for the 22-250 are H-380, IMR4064, N-140 but try as many as you can to be sure your rifle is giving you it's best accuracy. Some rifles do not always conform to the norm as far as powder selection.