New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sizing cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just received my first lee collett die for my 22-250 and I was going to purchase a redding body die to bump the shoulder back when the time comes. I already have an RCBS FL die, would it be possible to just remove the decapper+expander and achieve the same results or does the redding body die accomplish something else? Thanks

Posts: 40 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Antonucci:
I just received my first lee collett die for my 22-250 and I was going to purchase a redding body die to bump the shoulder back when the time comes. I already have an RCBS FL die, would it be possible to just remove the decapper+expander and achieve the same results or does the redding body die accomplish something else? Thanks

The RCBS die will size the neck much smaller, maybe .007, than does the Lee collet die so you will still need the expander ball if you used the RCBS sizer.
The interesting part is, before the Lee collet die came along many shooters got excellent results using the old die sets. "You may get an improvement with the Lee collet die but it may be too small to detect with some rifles and shooters.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey David

The answer is: If you turn the necks to the right thickness you can size the neck to achieve the bullet grip you want and push the shoulder back.

For instance, I have an RCBS FL 300 win mag die that I removed the expander stem. When I size a 300 win mag case the outside diameter is .329". If I want .003" bullet grip I would want the outside diameter of a loaded neck to be .332". So .332"-.308"=.024"/2=.012" neck thickness per side.

In case it's late and all this math is not making sense, what that means is that if I neck turn the necks to .012" thick and size with the FL die without the expander I will have .003" bullet grip and the outside diameter of the loaded rounds will be .332".

So you can size the entire case with a FL die if you turn the necks to the right thickness.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually I was just interested in knowing if there is a difference between the redding body die and the rcbs FL die w/ the expander removed

Posts: 40 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay woods, I totally understand what you are saying, my question on that is this: What about all that extra air space that situation creates between the outside of the case neck and the chamber neck? Is it significant in the real world? I assume to PFL resized brass is goint to center the round in the chamber, so the neck doesn't necessarily have to be that close, but...

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
JT

That's a good question and one that I don't have an answer for. On the one rifle I have tried this on is a Mato 300 win mag. The chamber neck is .341" and the outside loaded diameter of a case that was sized in a FL die sans expander is .332". So that will mean I have .009" neck clearance. I have 10 cases sized this way and will let you know.

Since you are converting to Lee Collets, one thing you can do is get a washer and put it around the case head on top of the shell holder

which will leave a portion of the case fireformed size

Of course you could do the same thing with the FL die sans expander by just backing it up in the press, partial neck size it.

Here are some neck clearances on factory rifles with no neck turning

Sako 338 win mag - .010"
Kimber 300 WSM - .007"
Steyr 30-06 - .0085"
Browning 270 - .007"

The last 2 are excellent shooters so that amount of neck clearance does not have an effect on accuracy.

Other than that I am guessing. Need more data.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Redding body die works great.It makes the round more accurate than ever.The only time I could get one hole 5 shot groups at 200yds,is right after the cases were resized with this die and shot.I don't know the answer to your question because it is impossible to know EVERYTHING about reloading.What I have to say,is that the Redding body die is a simple thing and will work.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woods,

I'm getting off topic and apologize for doing so. I want to ask if your press is a Big Boss I or II? I'm curious to know if the primer residue accumulated with the later spent primer collection system.

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woods,

I'm getting off topic and apologize for doing so. I want to ask if your press is a Big Boss I or II? I'm curious to know if the primer residue accumulated with the later spent primer collection system.

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woods,

Thank you for all the time you have spent answering my questions, I do appreciate it very much. As I have heard said before: A man who knows, can do more, with less. That is where I am trying to get to in my reloading now. Get the maximum gain from simpler processes, for the most real-world benefit.

Back in the day when I was single, I loved all of the intricacies of precision reloading. The fact of the matter now though, is that I just don't have the time for all of those things in as many cartridges as I have. We'll say less time at the bench and more time with the kiddo's out pulling triggers. I may get back to the precision thing again at some point, but it will probably be awhile yet.

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry David, for hijacking the thread. I will go back about my business now. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
David ; I sincerely doubt it makes any difference which manufactures Die you chose to use .

I have RCBS Redding Dillon and I'm not seeing any differences at all in groups .

I agree with what Woods is telling you about the neck turning , it just makes sense .

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote