New
Find
Notify
Tools

redding die question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys have decided to only start off loading for .308 now and wait until I have a little more experience before I introduce .the .270 components powders etc to the reloading bench(may sound a little overkill on precautions but hey I really like to be safe ha ha) As a result I will be able to upgrade some things and I have decided to go with an upgrade in dies. I was all set to get the Lee deluxe set and then put the hornady lock rings on. Now after much thought I was thinking about redding or maybe even rcbs.

Couple questions: Its hard to understand just which dies I should get from the sinclair catalog for the reddings. I want a set if I can but the Type"s" match full length die set states it excellent for semi-autos. I will be using bolt action, so any recommendations?

Next the rcbs hand primer that comes with the rockchucker set says you must use rcbs shell holders, not quite sure what the difference is in shellholder and redding bushing could someone explain this as I ve tried to wrap my mind around it but my mind never quits wrapping, ha, ha! Thanks in advance for answering these easy questions Im sure. God Bless.

John 3:16

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sydsdaddy:
Next, the RCBS Hand Primer that comes with the Rockchucker set says you must use RCBS shellholders; not quite sure what the difference is in shellholder and Redding bushing. Could someone explain this?

This shellholder is the adaptor that mates a particular case to the tool in which it is being worked. It is used between the press ram and the case, and between the priming tool and the case. With priming tools, the punch passes through the center hole in the shellholder, dictating that the hole must be of a particular diameter. We have learned from responses to your posts that both Lee and Redding shellholders work with the RCBS priming tool, meaning that all have the same diameter for this hole.

Standard sizing dies utilize the expander button to determine the final internal diameter of the neck case. When the unsized case is passed into the die, the expander enters the case before the neck is constricted. When the press ram is lowered, the expander button pushes the neck back out, the neck achieving its final size as determined by the diameter of the expander. The expanding process, especially if the expander does not have perfect alignment, is attributed for distorting, even stretching, case necks, causing neck misalignment. It is this misalignment that you see referred to as run-out.

Bushing sizing dies have a replaceable sizing piece, the bushing, that results in a one-step sizing process; the constriction determines the final neck diameter as the expander is not used (although it is sometimes supplied with the die). This process doesn't work the brass as much, giving longer brass life and less neck run-out. It also allows for easy adjustment of neck tension, the difference between bullet diameter and inside neck diameter. Setting neck tension with a standard sizing die requires adjustment of the diameter of the expander button. More neck tension requires reducing the diameter of the expander; less tension means a new expander (custom). Target shooters like low tension. Gas guns require more, hence Sinclair's recommendation for the bushing die. However, achieving more tension with a standard die involves simply chucking the stem in a power drill and polishing the button with emery.

There is another brand of die that hasn't been considered; Forster makes excellent dies. The seater is a superior design, having an internal aligning sleeve (like the Redding micrometer seaters) that will reduce run-out of the loaded bullet in the brass. The standard version does not have the micrometer adjustment, making for an economic means for achieving top-quality ammo. The tight tolerances and finish of the Forster products, like Redding, are superior to other brands. Forster lock rings have the split design like Hornady. If you are considering better dies, the standard Forster set is one you should look into. In between Lee and Forster, there are the Redding standard sets.

How about that Sinclair catalog? Eye-opening, ain't it? Assuming you have the 2008-A publication, take a look on page 184, upper left-hand corner. You don't want to go there yet, but the Zediker book awaits. What you're learning now doesn't give you the full picture. Later, this book will tell all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guys have decided to only start off loading for .308 now and wait until I have a little more experience before I introduce .the .270 components powders etc to the reloading bench(may sound a little overkill on precautions but hey I really like to be safe ha ha) As a result I will be able to upgrade some things and I have decided to go with an upgrade in dies. I was all set to get the Lee deluxe set and then put the hornady lock rings on. Now after much thought I was thinking about redding or maybe even rcbs.

Couple questions: Its hard to understand just which dies I should get from the sinclair catalog for the reddings. I want a set if I can but the Type"s" match full length die set states it excellent for semi-autos. I will be using bolt action, so any recommendations?

Next the rcbs hand primer that comes with the rockchucker set says you must use rcbs shell holders, not quite sure what the difference is in shellholder and redding bushing could someone explain this as I ve tried to wrap my mind around it but my mind never quits wrapping, ha, ha! Thanks in advance for answering these easy questions Im sure. God Bless.

I must apologize for not warning a new Reloader about the dangers of the Sinclair Catalog. It is full of high quality usually useful items for reloading and can represent a serious drain upon your expendable income. I asked one of my employers if I could start making payroll deductions and he asked me who the hell Sinclair was. Smiler

But seriously, it's probably best to get rolling with your basic gear for at least a few hundred rounds and then you should be able to make better decisions on the stuff that you want to upgrade or add with. To me the Sinclair Catalog is like the Sears Christmas catalog used to be when I was a kid......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
I must apologize for not warning a new Reloader about the dangers of the Sinclair Catalog. It is full of high quality usually useful items for reloading and can represent a serious drain upon your expendable income. I asked one of my employers if I could start making payroll deductions and he asked me who the hell Sinclair was. Smiler

But seriously, it's probably best to get rolling with your basic gear for at least a few hundred rounds, and then you should be able to make better decisions on the stuff that you want to upgrade or add with. To me, the Sinclair Catalog is like the Sears Christmas catalog used to be when I was a kid......................DJ

Excellent input, and probably necessary, but I'll have to take the heat for this one.
You have to admit though, he's learning quickly. As you say, he'll better understand the trade-offs. Good questions, which was my intent in telling SD about Sinclair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL Yeah I will forward all comments from my wife to you guys....... nah then I wouldnt be allowed here anymore!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The forsters I am looking at in the devil..ah I mean the sinclair catalog is on page 50 top left.It is the forster fl die and bench rest seater die set.

Uh oh, also just saw the bottom left on same page, same thing with the ultra seater die set. OK must put the catalog down and chill out and go enjoy my babies!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Forsters I am looking at in the devil..ah I mean the Sinclair catalog is on page 50, top left. It is the Forster FL die and Bench Rest seater die set.

You can have a standard Redding set for half the cost of the Forsters. Doesn't have the sleeved seater, but the deer won't know the difference.

You've learned now about sleeved seater dies. Did you notice the difference in the location of the Forster sizing die's expander button?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say forget that expensive Sinclair stuff. get a good set of RCS, Hornady, or Redding. Just the basics. I have been loading for over fifty years and I still find very few times to order from Sinclair. They have some fine equipment but too much for the beginer. Get a set of Lee shelholders and Lee trimmers for each ctg you load for.
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please note that RCBS makes a Universal hand held primer which does not require shell holders.
It is particularly nice when loading several calibers, as I do.
I recommend it.

Beryl H.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for the RCBS universal hand primer. It also has a larger, square tray that fills and works much better. The square tray is also sold as an upgrade for the non-universal RCBS hand primer.

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote