THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Gator T/C: Your Blue Dot and Primer Question....

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gator T/C: Your Blue Dot and Primer Question....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gator:

I received a PM notification thru my email, but when I came to log on, I was denied permission... I am sure it is just a system malfunction....

Try sending it again.. It was a question about Blue Dot and primer effect....

If that was all of it, I can tell you that primer type does not seem to have any real effect on Blue Dot... I have used pistol primers and magnum primers and it really had no noteworthy change in velocity or accuracy, plus or minus...

At least that was my take on it, and that was done in temps as hot as 100 degrees and as cold as about 32 degrees.. It doesn't get much colder than that around here... Of course that is why I left Minnesota ten years ago.. Had enough of 20 to 40 below.... and 6 months of winter!

Hope that helps...

Cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GatorT/C
posted Hide Post
I have been using Blue Dot in my 10" T/C Contender with 40g VMAX. I am getting ~3/4 inch group with anywhere from 8 - 10 1/2 grains, but it looks horrible at higher levels (12-13). I am using Remington 7 1/2 Benchrest primers. I was looking at an old post where they recommended 6 1/2 primers and NOT to use 7 1/2. Any idea why?

Do you use magnum primers with belted cartridges? I am working with a 15" 7mm Rem Mag in an Encore as well.

In .338 with magnum primers I will get a 3/4" group and then a 1 3/4" group. I do not know velocity as I do not have a chronograph yet. Thanks for feedback!

Posts: 31 | Location: Gainesville, Fl | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gator;

I can only speculate the inconsistency you are experiencing might be to flinching....

Even for the most seasoned of us... a 7 Mag and a 338 Mag are stiff recoiling rigs in an Encore...

I don't have the 7 mag, but I do have the 338 cartridge in a rifle...also a 300 Win Mag...

I use standard rifle primers, even in a magnum case with faster powders....

The first question with the 40 grainers, I am guessing that is a 223? I have used Remington 6. 1/2 and 7 1/2 primers in the 223 with Blue Dot in Lake City, Winchester, and Remington cases and have not had any changes in groups at higher powder levels... I use normally 14.5 grains with all bullet weights from 40 to 46 grains with the 223....I drop it to 13.5 with 50 grain bullets...

over 50 grainers, I go to my 22.250s for heavier bullets....

Good luck.. all I can suggest is maybe a flinch.. don't mean any insult with that statement.. it can happen to us all.. I do it all the time my first couple of shots....at the range I will often carry another rifle just to get my trigger finger warmed up.... and my steadiness ready....

either shoot a couple of clips of 22 LR first, or sometimes I will shoot 10 shots or so with the 30/06.... then when I move down to a 243 or 260 or so, the less recoil, I have gotten rid of any flinch.. I just think it is something that I constantly have to get rid of if I haven't been to the range in a week or so....

cheers and good luck...
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote