New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally Succes! My best group and how
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I finally did it. I started reloading 3 years ago and have pursued small group accuracy since then.
Yesterday I went to the range to test yet another batch of loads. One of the batches was a test for a downloaded round that will do well on smaller game (lesser meatdamage)
It grouped at 0.16" at 100meters/109.8 yrds.
The recipe:
150grs Hornady SP interlock seated to touch the lands
47grs of N165
CCI BR2 primer
Norma FL sized .270W brass
Fired from a rebarreled Sako 75 stainless, synt. stock
How I got there: I read a lot. and loaded a lot.
The best book was Glen Zedikers : " make the target bigger" I swallowed that one and followed every tip he has to offer.
And yes I rebarreled the famed Finnish Sako with a danish S&L barrel.

Just had to tell a lot of people at once.
The same day I also tested that bullet for max loads and got it to go 3095FPS without pressure signs, fast barrel ehh! This gun is now too good to shoot, I think I'll just hang it on the livingroomwall to admire.

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Niels, Great shooting!! Thats a group alot of BR shooters would like to get, them Hornady bullets have always been good to me also, keep up the good work, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Good shooting buddy . Why did you rebarrel? Did the SAKO not shoot with the standard factory barrel?

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check your post for typos please. I only looked at Nosler #5 but they used way more powder than you did and only got 2842 fps out of a 24" Shilen!

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI POP.
I rebarelled because the Sako went sour on me, I never found it to be fantastic, but then again I have learned a lot since I rebarelled. The sako is cold forged and the S&L is cut. That is another reason. the S&L is completely stressless, obtained the same way Lothar Walther does it.
Its first 3 shots grouped a a little more than a 1/4 inch (Normafactory ammo) The Sako is probably fine, maybe I just cleaned the living daylights out of it...
The people from S&L tell me not to use solvents in this one, so I haven't and it is cleeeean anyway.

I did not get the 3095 FPS from 47grs. of N165... with that I got around 23-2400. low as I wanted it.

3095 was reached with 60.5grs of Norma MRP. bullet at the lands, CCI BR2, and Norma Brass.

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Man, that's a pretty good group!! Think I'd frame that one and hang it on my wall.

You note 47 grains N165. N165's a real slow burner, and those aren't usually recommended for light loads, say less than 10% below posted MAX. The dreaded "pressure excursion" effect and all that. Did you check with V-V to see what they have to say about loading it down that far? Or, is N165 a double-base powder, and, the light loading thing doesn't apply to them?

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found loads that low in Hornady's 5th.
N165 is not a double based, as far as I know. double based powders are the n560, n550 and n540, aren't they.. double based meaning nitroglycerin and cordite.. right..?
The afterburner effect is only a problem in larger cases, again, as far as I know. I'll be more carefull when loading .416Rigby.
It will be framed. Believe me. But only after I do it again by duplicating it and shooting it again.
Note that the load is 47grs. straight! no decimals. I am not a believer in 10th of grains to do much difference. But I am about to become a firm believer in a good barrel to make a h... of difference.
A friend of mine has started to make his own barrels, so far he has made only a few. But they shoot..! He makes them so they measure in at minimum diameter. His worst group
with out of the box ammo has been 1/2 inch at 100m. so far.
maybe we should all spend more money on a barrel and a square action and less on ammo trying to get the old boomer to go right...??!

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Double base = nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin.

Man, I'm gonna have to try me some of those loads. Nothing like tiny little groups to warm the old heart cockles!!

I'd been looking for some 270/150/2,600+/- FPS loads for PA whitetails, but, never thought of trying N165. Another project!!

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I quite agree about the VihtaVouri powder. I purchased a Remington Classic in 6.5x55. I used the
preferred loads with U.S. powders and bullets. It was mediocre at best. It's a Scandanavian caliber
so I thought, "why not use their components?" It was the best move I ever made. With VV550 and
560 powders along with the Lapua Scenar 108, 123 and 139 bullets it's like having a different rifle.
Almost every load is .5" or less. I've been quite impressed. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Niels,

That's interesting about MRP. The only place I have found any MRP loads has been Speer #10. I only know one place in the US that handles MRP and plan to pick some up in the very near future. As a fan of N205, I guess MRP will have to do as a substitute. I haven't seen anything at all on MRP II.

Posts: 151 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Double base = nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin.

Generally true. VihtaVuori has put a slightly different twist on it by permeating the formed grains of nitrocellulose from the surface (as is done with ball powders and nitroglycerine) with diethylene glycol dinitrate, a less volatile and cooler burning liquid explosive rather similar to nitroglycerine. It's long been used a great deal in dynamites. There are many other energetic compounds well known to be usable in propellants that never have been used on a commercial basis.

Congratulations on that group, Niels! That's almost like a golfer's hole in one.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went with N165 to begin with, instead of Norma MRP, because I found that N165 was slower (less muzzle vel.) than MRP with the same loadweights. And what I wanted to achieve was just that slow V0
For a load that will go as fast as possible I allways use MRP. For those of you who would like to find loads with MRP try www.reloadersnest.com or buy the norwegian reloading manual : "Ladeboken"
N165 is in Hornadys Fifth and in "load from a disk" (software)
The N500 series from Vithavouri I find to give a hell of a muzzle blast, so I don't use them much.

The recipe( brass,primer,load and bullet) I used for that small group is just part of getting there, I think, I also payed considerable attention to getting the headspace right (0.001 less than a fired case) and to runout, to get most of my cases straight/ no or little runout, I have placed an O-ring under each Forsterdie and I ONLY FL size, to get as much support on the case body as possible. My recipe probably wont work for any of you, every rifle is individual. But really the best I have to contribute to the chase for accuracy is ..: get a good barrel and Go buy : "making the target bigger" by Glen Zediker. It did wonders for me.
By the way: concerning runout... does it matter? Well it matters to me. I did a small test some time ago, I loaded a bunch of the same loads. Checked them all for runout shot 7 of the .000001's in one group, and 7 of the .003's and up in another. The group of the ones with no runout measured 1" the others 2". ' says it all I think.

<JOHAN>
posted
Paul5388

The "American" powder that is closest to NORMA is RL, both made at the Bofors plant. If you need loading data for the powders visit Norma or VihtaVouri websites. Nosler, Sierra used to have some reloaidng data for Scandinavian powders

203-B is a really nice powder for 404 Jeffery

Cheers

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good shooting Niels, and you did it with hunting bullets, and a caliber that is not a benchrest cartridge.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Niels-

Good shooting!!

How can one get their hands on "making the target bigger" by Glen Zediker. I just got through searching Amazon.com and could not find it.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan,

I found the Norma reloading data. Thanks! I had been to the Norma site before and didn't see a section that listed their data. So, that was a welcome find!

That N203-B is interesting also, but there just doesn't seem to be a direct replacement for N205.

Posts: 151 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To : .30 cal. mag, fan..... To get the book you v�can do what I did. Call or e- mail Sinclair international.
www.sinclairintl.com

They have a bunch of the good stuff.

one of us
posted Hide Post
To : .30 cal. mag, fan..... To get the book.....Sinclair international.
www.sinclairintl.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Make the target bigger " Can be found at www.sinclairintl.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not understand why that last post went on the board three times.
I am not payed to promote for Sinclair, but if any of my future posts, wherein I name a brand or company, comes up multiple times..... Then maybe I should be payed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Niels-

Thanks, I found it on Barnes&Noble.com.

I have one coming my way now.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30cal.mag.fan- It's good reading. Added about 10 years of experience to my reloading skills, I should think.

Have fun

one of us
posted Hide Post
HOT core-- I just got some more 150grs. Hornady sp's and will try to duplicate the load tonight, Saturday or Sunday I'm at the range to check it again in a 10 or 15 shot group. I'll let you know how it went.

Niels

one of us
posted Hide Post
nice job, niels, and good reporting.

i am always amazed at the solid american/english in which you scandinavians post.

got a little dane in me. my paternal grandmother descended from funks and pedersons. the pederson line is from the island of bornholm. the pedersons have owned some kind of store there for many generations.

i hear bornholm it is a beautiful place.

Posts: 298 | Location: birmingham, alabama | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fish 280-
Thank you for the compliment.

Good name you picked there... Bornholm is know for it's smoked herring..
Most scandinavians speak some english and some are good at it. Mostly it is young people who have good english skills. I lived in California for a year and went to highschool there, so eventhough I am no longer a youngster I had a little headstart there. Denmark is a small country, surrounded by other scandinavians and europeans, who speak all sorts of languages. This is why a lot of danes understand and speak some german, understand and speak some Swedish and norwegian, French and of course english.

Bornholm is a beautifull island, if you have roots there you should pay it a visit sometime.
Check for typos in "Pederson" I think it should be either Pedersen (the danish form) or Pettersson (the swedish form) The -sen or -son means son in english So the name is actually pointing to whom you are the son of, or more precise.. someone in your family was a son of, 'cause Petersson or Pedersen, means Peters son

one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
Hello Niels and congratulations on your success!
Im a little curious about these Danish barrels you mentioned?
Can you tell me where i can get some info about em as i will be in Danmark this summer!

Hils fra Island.
Ben

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote