New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 loads, 2900 fps with 190gr SMK moly/RL-22
 Login/Join

<MontanaMarine>
posted
Went to the range today with the '06. Still developing my load. All loads are in Norma brass. variable winds 0-10 mph, 100 yards. 5-shot groups. Latest results:
RL-19, 61 gr
190 SMK moly
CCI 250
COL 3.26
Avg Vel: 2794.3
ES: 48
SD: 12.1
Accuracy: .88" (only 2 groups)

RL-22, 62 gr
190 SMK moly
CCI 250
COL 3.26
Avg Vel: 2853.6
ES: 38
SD: 9.6
Accuracy: .81" (6 groups, largest .99, smallest .69)

RL-22, 63 gr
190 SMK moly
CCI 250
COL 3.26
Avg Vel: 2900.2
ES: 59
SD: 13.4
Accuracy: 1.02" (only 2 groups)

No signs of pressure. 26" Barrel. .010 off the lands. I'm going up to 64 gr of RL22 but that will be about all I can reasonably fit without heavy compression.

MM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! 2900 fps with a 190gr. bullet in an 06' is impressive! How long is the barrel on you gun? I was thinking of rechambering my 06' to 300 but if I can get 2800-2900 with a 180gr. then I'm not going to even give it a second thought. Where did you find these loads? My latest Nosler lists a max. of 61gr. of RL22 for a 180gr. bullet.
Elk Country

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
Just for info I like to run info like this past Quickload to see how accurate my program is. With the spec's you just gave it forecasted 2945 fps with the 63 grain load at 64,000 psi. My guess is you'll start seeing pressure signs when you go up that extra grain but, who knows. BUT, you have got to be crunching the hell out of the powder with that long bullet?? I'm thinking you almost have to using a drop tube or, are right at the case mouth with volume??

<Guy>
posted
MM - very impressive rifle! Your velocities are similiar to my 300 win mag target rifle. Don ran his Quickload for you and that lowers the pressure concerns of your loads. All your data looks good to me. I would only add a suggestion of trying a standard match primer like Fed 210's or the CCI's. The Federal 210 Gold Medal Match primers reduced my 300 win groups approximately .100" at 100 yds.

Good luck and keep us posted, your rifle in very interesting.

Guy

<MontanaMarine>
posted
Barrel is 26" Douglas #7 stainless steel.

The 63 grain charge of RL-22 went just to the juncture of the neck and shoulder in a fireformed Norma case. I threw 62 grains and trickled the last grain into the pan on the scale. with a standard funnel I poured the powder into the case.

Seated to a COL of 3.26 the bullet shank juncture with the boat tail is almost exactly at the bottom of the case neck. So essentially the actual boat tail is the amount of compression.

Was the Quickload pressure factoring in the moly coated bullet?

I have not seen any published data for moly bullets other than Saeed's. So I am cautiously venturing forward. Honestly, I doubt the '06 case could hold enough RL-22 to get into serious trouble with the bullet I am using. But I am going slow nonetheless.

I will post my future results when available. I've been on leave this week so had time to do this.

MM

<MontanaMarine>
posted
Guy,

Roger that on the primers. I've got some Fed 210s on the way. Trying to use up an old box of CCI 250s, only about 300 left.

MM

<MontanaMarine>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Don Krakenberger:
Just for info I like to run info like this past Quickload to see how accurate my program is. With the spec's you just gave it forecasted 2945 fps with the 63 grain load at 64,000 psi. My guess is you'll start seeing pressure signs when you go up that extra grain but, who knows. BUT, you have got to be crunching the hell out of the powder with that long bullet?? I'm thinking you almost have to using a drop tube or, are right at the case mouth with volume??

Don,

If you have the time and/or curiosity, I would be interested to know what Quickload predicts pressure and velocity would be with 64 grains of RL-22.

Thanks, MM

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
OK-now I'm at home. On this computer I have done the latest update for quickload and it sometimes give different info than the one at work (I did not update that computer).
ESPECIALLY different are the way the 2 programs treat powder like RE 25. The early version thought re 25 was really mild.
Heres the info:
63 grains w/o moly factored 2936fps 65K psi
63 grains w moly factored in 2905 63K psi
64 grain w moly factored in 2970 67K psi.

In my 300 wby I found that moly slowed down my 180 barnes xbts about 40 fps from a max load.
Hope some of this rambling helps. Remember--Quickload is a great tool but can vary just like a reloading manual because of powder lots, bullet lots, fast and slow guns, loose chambers--any combo of the above!! BUT it is fun when it comes up with chrono'd results like above.

<MontanaMarine>
posted
Thanks Don,

Wow,

Chrono says 2900' Quickload says 2905. That is pretty close!

looks like 64 grains is worth a try without undue hazard. 67K psi I am guessing works out to vic 54-55k CUP.

I'll try 63.5 first.

Thanks again. MM

<Don Martin29>
posted
Use a drop tube. It will get more powder in there.

I figure that your about 2000 miles from me which is out of range.

Be careful. There is no point in 2900 or 2850 or what ever.

Summer is coming. Remember Boyles law. P=t/v

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
Just curious--how much does a norma case weigh compared to a rem or a win?? I'm really thinking the reason you are getting all that powder in the case is because it's a norma instead of a rem or win case. There is quite a difference in the weatherby calibers between norma and Rem cases.

<MontanaMarine>
posted
Don and Don,

Here are weights of different cases I have on hand, including a spent primer.

Norma: 183 gr
IMI: 198 gr
Rem: 200 gr

So that would seem to account for the extra volume in the Norma case.

I'm would not consider myself a risk-taker with my reloading. The instinct for self-preservation is alive and well within me. I've been reloading for 26 years. I've pushed to the point of blown primers and stiff extraction in my foolish teenage years. Not any more. The 2900 fps load is operating at pressures similar to the .270 and 25-06. I see no harm in using the 30-06 case to it's safe potential with modern powders and bullet technology.

There are many who claim the 30-06 has no ballistic advantage over the .308 Win. I have three .308s and like them very much. However, I maintain a case with 18-20 grains (40%) more than a .308 can perform at a level significantly beyond the .308 at similar pressures. That is essentially all I am doing.

Having said that, prudence and the wisdom of age tell me that the level I have achieved is a good place to stop. As you say, why push further for a gain of 50-75 more fps at the risk of pressure spiking on a hot day.

Thanks for your input and analysis. MM

[This message has been edited by MontanaMarine (edited 03-29-2002).]

<eldeguello>
posted
Your load is impressive, but Re 22 gives sometimes startling results. For example, I have developed an Re 22 load with 175 grain Noslers in the 7X57mm case that gives 2720 FPS from a 22" barreled Ruger No. 1A. Also impressive, nicht vahr??

<MontanaMarine>
posted
eldeguello,

I think it is representative of the safely achieveable capabilities of the case. I think it is a big mistake that many feel the 30-06 is pretty much maxed out at a 22" barrel.

I'm a big fan of longer barrels. At 6'3" I don't really feel overburdened with 2-4" more barrel on my rifle. I prefer to get the performance from the barrel rather than a bigger and bigger case.

If I were to have a 300WinMag It would have 28-29" of barrel. A 300 Ultra would have 30-32".

To each their own. MM

<Chuck66>
posted
MM,

I have tried this load with a Nosler Ballistic Tip 165 Moly Coated bullet with 24" barrel and these where my results.

RL22 62gr. 2803fps
63gr. 2838fps
64gr. 2884fps
Fed 210M primer and Winchester brass and stock barrel. This data was done in the summer at about 100 degrees and a Oehler chronograph. No presure signs on any cases at all.

Good luck

Chuck

<MontanaMarine>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck66:
MM,

I have tried this load with a Nosler Ballistic Tip 165 Moly Coated bullet with 24" barrel and these where my results.

RL22 62gr. 2803fps
63gr. 2838fps
64gr. 2884fps
Fed 210M primer and Winchester brass and stock barrel. This data was done in the summer at about 100 degrees and a Oehler chronograph. No presure signs on any cases at all.

Good luck

Chuck

I have a hunch that you could safely load the same charges with RL-19 with that 165gr bullet/moly and get a safe 3000 fps, or darn close.

Thanks for the info, MM