Find
Notify
Tools

Bullets tipping in the barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I found this high speed xray photograph of a gatling gun cycling and it seems to show the bullet tipping pretty badly inside the barrels. I just thought that it was interesting.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's wierd.

Seems like a whole lotta rounds fired and haven't exited the barrel yet.

Considering it took 0.0xxx seconds to take that image, multiply that out to the minute or second, and by 34 (my best count) to get rate of fire Eeker

somethings not quite right I'd say

Posts: 139 | Location: Fairmont, WV | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
That doesn't look like a schematic of any Gatling I've ever seen.

Where did you get the picture? If that were atrue picture of a Gatling I could see that happening possibly through the use of Ultra High speed photography.

Also the gatlings I worked on had firing rates between 4>6000 rounds per minute. As the barrles (6) are spinning it would be coceivable that the bullets would appear to be tipped.

Bill

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Something sure doesn't look right.

Could it possibly be on of those weapons that has the bullets stacked in the barrels and then are set of electronically?? Looks to me like they have left some type of tube or barrel. All the cases are where?

Heck if I know.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Unit5A
posted Hide Post
I don't recognize it either.
Is this an original "gattling gun" like from the late 1800's or something? What did they shoot, 45-70 or ...? I note the rounded nose bullets being used here.

"Hunt smart, know your target and beyond"

Posts: 394 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A gatlin gun with a tang safety? Kinda strange looking. Looks like a hinged action. I do not believe you can have more than one bullet at a time in any barrel. That would spray bullets around pretty randomly. At least until it blew up. Looks bogus to me.

And, where did the steel barrels go in the pic? Steel shows up nice except in the barrels. Bogus.

Gimme Back My Bullets!!!!
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting

QSMA President and Squirrel World Record Holder. 1.96 B&S

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club

Posts: 82 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely not Gatling. It is a break open (thumb lever). If the pic has not been photo shop fiddled with or it is not a multiple exposure, it most looks like a modern version of a punt gun. I've seen them that chambered multiple 22 rounds but not that many. The bullets are tipping because they are not contained within a barrel the caliber of the bullet. You'd see the individual barrels if they were there. Once the bullets leave the chamber, they are on their own.

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Guys,

If you look at it closely it appears to be some kind of pepperbox arrangement as you can see maybe a dozen or so short 2 - 3" barrels with cases loaded in them. The bullets are all straight and stable until they exit these short barrels and then they become unstable.

I would also suggest that there are a number of exposures of the same firing with the same bullets caught on film a number of times.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Frank, someone is pulling the lanyard here... Eeker

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Hamish has nailed it. Multiple exposures of some type of pepperbox. But, I still don't understand how you could see the bullets in a steel barrel.

Gimme Back My Bullets!!!!
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting

QSMA President and Squirrel World Record Holder. 1.96 B&S

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club

Posts: 82 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I found it on a site here: http://whatsthecrack.net/Amazing-Slow-Motion-x-ray-gun-shots-pictures

But I think that in real life it is a 22lr adapter for a 40mm grenade launcher here:

It looks like the barrels in the adapter are smooth bores so that would explain the bullets yawing in the tube of the launcher.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote