New
Find
Notify
Tools

What can someone tell me about the 284?
 Login/Join

<monyhunter>
posted
I been looking at different wildcat rounds to build my P17 into. I have looked at the reloading pages and have seen what looks like a good wildcat in the 284-6mm and 284-25.

Does anyone have these rounds? If so what can you tell me about them? What size action to they fit into, ie long or short?

I am torn between two different modes of building my P17. On one hand I want to make a large elk gun, on the other a varmint/deer gun.

On the large size I am looking at different .338 / .375 types. From the .338-06 on up to the .375 RUM.

One the smaller side I am looking at something that will be a good varmint/deer, and have lots of velocity. I do a lot of varmint hunting, and I love what high velocity does to varmints.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Unless Im mistaken the 284 has been made obsolete by the 7mm-08 which will do anything the 284 will with less powder and I believe they would both fall under the short case category. Today I was considering what a fine load a 270 AI would make for anything from varmints to elk for a long action rifle.

Posts: 10142 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Lee S. Forsberg>
posted
How about 375x284 or 375x06 or 400x06 or 400x284? Maybe just 284 by it's self. Nothing wrong with 284 Winchester?

------------------
LSF/375

one of us
posted Hide Post
In your P17 there is really no advantage to the use of the 284 case. You don't need short so you wouldbe as well off to build a 280 or if you want tospend more on dies a 280 Improved. Feeding with the 284 can be problematic and you lose a round of magazine capacity. The 284 is essentially a 280 for short actions and your action isn't short! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That P-17 is ment for the 505 or 500 whatever, not a short case like the 284...

the 284 is a fantastic caliber and it is head and shoulders better than the 7-08..It is the full equivelent of the 280 Remington but in a shorter action, and makes up into a nice fwt rifle or is the most usefull of many lever actions in the long range dept. It refuses to die.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Chainsaw>
posted
My 1/2 cents worth. My hunting buddies Browning micro medallion in .284 shoots tiny groups with H414 and Nosler 140 gr. Partition bullets. (2950 fps) I think the standard case is one helluva "wildcat" in its own right. ----------Chainsaw

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
The only drawback with the 284 and this may be hypothetical is the choice and availability of brass. From what I understand only Winchester manufactors brass once a year for the 284. I'm pretty picky about my brass so I favor the 7mm08 over the 284. Great selection of brass in the 7mm08, you can even purchase Lapua 308win match grade brass, neck it down to 7mm and you have the best brass possible. Factory ammo is also readily available in most stores.

Since we're talking wildcats, I would consider any of the improved versions based on the 308 case. The only drawback is you have to fireform your brass. My 7mm08 improved will keep up with any 284 in velocity and accuracy. It will push a 140gr bullet at 2950fps mv with several powders.

sure-shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
With a P-17, there is no advantage to a .284 wildcat over anything based on the '06 case. Yes, you can make the .284 case work in a P-17, but why?

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike M>
posted
I'm going to agree with everyone else and say that a 284 based cartridge doesn't make sense in your P17.

For a "varmit / deer" cartridge I would opt for the 257 Ackley Imp. (I don't like 6 mms for deer.)

For an elk rifle any of the .338s should work fine. I like the 338 Win Mag.

The .375s will, of course, do the job too. But, load development and sighting in sure ain't much fun.

<Elliot Viker>
posted
The 284 is a great round.
y browning safari is a great gun to have and to shoot. But with a case capasity about like an -06 and an action that will fit the -06, why not go with something on the -06 case? I am particular to the 35 Whelen improved, but a 338-06 would be good and you could also go with a 25-06 or a 257 WBY for a fast stepper. Don't get me wrong, I like the 284 but keep it in a short action, that is really where it belongs. A custom rem mod 7 in 284 would be a great thing to have.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello

You have a longish action, most people would use a longish cartridge to suit. Having said that, shorter cases frequently seem to produce better groups if everything else is the same. I shoot a 6mm-284 and like it, but I might look harder at 243 Ackley or 6mm Improved if I were to do another 6mm, and 25-284 in any case. The basic 284 is similar in results to the 280 Remington with shorter, fatter case.

Quite a few commercial cartridges are based on the 30-06 case, good in the action you've got. The cartridges based on the 7X57mm would also make a good fit, particularly the Improved versions.

Tom

Posts: 14391 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Bill Tompkins>
posted
sure-shot,

Lapua, Norma and Hornady make brass in the 6.5-284 form which can be necked up in one simple move. As you know the Lapua and Norma brass is used almost exclusively by the 1000 yard and Benchrest shooters attesting to it's quality.

monyhunter,

Use the P-17 for a longer, bigger cartridge. Don't waste your time or money trying to put a .284 wildcat in it, it's just not worth it.

Bill