New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder for 5.56 in AR-15
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need some info on powder for reloading 5.56. Right now I am using Varget. It shoots well and is clean. It is also expensive. I see I can get Mil. Surp. powders, WC844 (cross reference loading data to H335) or WC846 (cross reference loading data to BL-C(2)) from Hi Tech Ammunition delivered to the house for about $11 a pound. Buying in #8 jugs. Have you folks ever used either of these powders before. I am looking for clean burning powder and ease of use in a powder measure.
Thanks for replies.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Don,

I got WC846 from Wideners's reloading supply. WWW.Wideners.com I paid $235 shipped for 32 lbs of WC846..that is about $7.35 per pound. I dont know if you want/need 32 lbs but anyway.

I have used WC846 in alot of calibers. .222 .223 .243 .30-06 .303 brit. My lot is faster than BLC-2 not by much though. Is it clean? well not as clean as others but for the price I dont mind.

I dont have my load data handy but if you need some .223 (5.56) loads let me know.

hope this helps

Jason

Posts: 81 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used WC 844 (and several other surplus powders) with excellent results. I have not purchased any of these powders from Hi Tech, so can't comment on them.

The lot of WC 844 I have tested is very, very close to H-335. This powder was developed specifically for the 5.56 (.223) using 55 grain bullets. It's pressure/velocity ratio is very favorable in small cases like the .223, and while it is usable in larger cases, it doesn't seem to do as well in .308, etc. I like it in .222, .223, and .222 Magnum.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend WC 844, but as with an non-canister grade powder, start low and work up carefully to assure that its performance is within the expected parameters.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would advise that before you buy a ton of the stuff, you be sure that you can shoot it all up before it goes bad. Bad powder is zestier than good powder and will change the ignition pressures considerably the older it gets.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote