THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anything wrong w/ Hornady Spire points??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was shooting up some old ammunition the other day and they were Hornady BTSP and it turns out that they group terrific in my gun. I didnt measure the shot group but all three bullet holes were touching. So i went and got my Cabelas shooting catalog and found that they are inexpensive. What type of terminal performance could a 30 cal 150 grain bullet pushed to about 2850-2900 fps have on eastern Whitetails. Also could someone give me detail about their construction are they a solid piece of lead? Just out of curiosity thanks.

Posts: 121 | Location: Central VA | Registered: 13 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What type of terminal performance could a 30 cal 150 grain bullet pushed to about 2850-2900 fps have on eastern Whitetails. QB][/QUOTE]

I would say that bullet would be great on these elusive whitetails..sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say a 150g pushed at 2800 fps would be quite terminal on most anything it hits!

Hollywood

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very terminal. Flat base works better that the boattail.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hornady bullets are as soft as BTs

but usualy shoot well in my guns
jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady have been my bullet of choice for more years than I care to remember. They have yet to let me down. You won't have any trouble with them in the setting you have provided. You can expect thru and thru penetration and pretty nasty exit wound. But one VERY dead deer.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never shot a deer with a 150gr hornady spire point but I shot several with 165's. As posted above, they leave behind a very dead deer.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, that is an EXCELLENT deer load.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used this bullet in a 300 savage, but not quite to that velocity. I can say that it tears up the deer much worse than my 30-06 and 7mag.

I don't know what it is, but that bullet, to me does too much.

However, in my contender, 300 savage, it works great. Velocities are around 2200-2300fps and the 130 gr spire point runs around 2500.

Posts: 135 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

but usualy shoot well in my guns
jeffe

They may be as soft in the middle, but theyre not nearly as explosive, and as such will hold up much better. A BT is nothing more than a glorified hollowpoint.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have used the 139 gr Hornady Interlock since 1972. 7 mag H-4841--69.8gr 3280-3300fps out of Hornady Vol-2 book-Great bullet, will hold togeather better than rem-corelokts at that speed. But the new Interbond is better and will not leave big exit holes if rib shots are made, or you hit an elk in the shoulder-14 elk for me with that bullet and load. Excellent Accuracy. They will peel back , as they have lines on the inside of the jacket [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
For whitetails at that velocity its a good bullet. In general, however, Hornady bullets are more frangible than some others. So if you push it much faster or you need reliable deep penetration, go with an A-frame or Partition.

Posts: 93 | Location: san antonio, texas | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ummmmm...not quite. In fact, not by a longshot.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`ve use the 150 Hornady SP at ~2970 fps from 5 /6 ft to 125 or so yds and never found them to fail. They all (7) exited with mixed shoulder or rib hits and dropped deer where they stood. My brother has used them in his 308 along with the 180gr Hornady with equally good results.
I think for `06, 308 sized rounds the Hornady bullet is a great choice on whitetail.
If elk or moose are in the picture or you go to a magnumn cartridge, I`d look at a Nosler or other premium bullet.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Hornady 6mm 87gr is the most accurate bullet I have found better in my rifle than the Sierra 85 HPBT which is saying something.150 gr on deer I have shot through a few big mule deer with these bullets in 30-06.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So 4BamBam,
you've shot 14 elk with the interbond, or the 139 gr interlock??

Your post is a bit confusing, but I'm sure you meant the interlock.

<heavy varmint>
posted
The 139 gr Hornady BTSP in 7mm at 2900 fps is my choice for eastern whitetails. Complete pass throughs and a good exit hole so far 100% of the time. I would think that the 150 gr 30 caliber at simular velocities would work equaly well.

Just gotta stick with what works. A person could were out a couple of barrels and use a different bullet on every animal for the next 15 years trying to find the best bullet for the job.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:

No way! Not even close Hornies are great bullets!

[ 08-10-2003, 21:31: Message edited by: POP ]

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote