Find
Notify
Tools

Dakota Model 10 7x57 154gr Interbonds
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Old Dog
posted
I just received my Model 10 and would like to work up some loads using Hornady 154gr Interbonds and Flat Based bullets. I've had good luck with both in my 280 and it seems like a good all around bullet in this caliber. My questions are:

Any guesses at a reasonable load that will produce around 2800fps from the 23" barrel? The C.O.L. with a 154gr Interbond, ten thousanths off the lands is 3.160. I have lots of H-414, WW760 and H-4831sc that I'd like to use. I also have Remington brass and Rem 9&1/2 primers.

How safe (from a gas blowback standpoint) is a falling block like the Model 10? Seems like with no lug raceways to direct the gas, it ought to be fine.

Finally, without sticky bolt lift, do you substitute stick lever fall for a pressure sign? Tolerances are so tight it takes a healthy push to open even without a cartridge in the chamber. Is extruded brass on the case head still a prime indicator of too much pressure?

I would really appreciate advice from some of the experienced single shot and 7x57 shooters on this board! Thanks for the help! [Smile]

Posts: 163 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with the No. 10, but had a Ruger #1 in 7x57 a few years back. Love the cartridge, sold the gun.

Try RX19 for speed. I clocked the 154 gr Hornady IL at 2770 fps from the Ruger(22") with H450(52 gr as I recall, WLR) I like the Reloader powders much better but did not use them at the time. Buddy has a bit of experience with RX15 & 19(7x57), seems to like them a lot. He has exceeded the velocity you aim for with 160 grain bullet BTW, but has a 28" Lilja barrel.

Here's the thin ice part for me. [Big Grin] The #10 has a rep. for being stiff when new, I wouldn't sweat it. The lever drop thing is NOT a good pressure indicator. On the Ruger, the ejector spring tension is adjustable to the point that it will barely move the case out of the chamber. That may give you a hint, not sure.

The ONLY sign I'm aware of concerning pressure with the #1 is a frosty appearance on the brass after extraction. Others will apply, such as loose primer pockets, and perhaps case head expansion, but they are notoriously unreliable as an indicator of absolute pressure due to variations of metalurgy etc. There is no way for the case head to be marked with the #1 due to pressure that is comparable to bolt guns since they do not have extractor cut outs on the bolt face. They can be flattened a bit if you get carried away. [Wink] Actions such as the #1 and #10 are bank vault strong. If you do not get too agressive with your handloads you won't have any problem with them. Hope this helps.

[ 10-30-2003, 05:07: Message edited by: DigitalDan ]

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Old Dog
posted Hide Post
DigitalDan;

Thanks for your response! Do you have any suggestions for a load with RL-19? I haven't used it extensively but I think I have some left over from my 284 Winchester loads. In the event of a ruptured case in a falling block, where does the gas go? Out the bottom through the lever assembly? I'm just so used to looking for excess pressure signs in a bolt gun that its wierd that flattened primers (notoriously unreliable) is the most noticable way of checking.

By way of comparison, is there any reason a safe load in a 7-08 can't be used in a 7x57?

Thanks for your help! [Smile]

Posts: 163 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Dog:
DigitalDan;

Thanks for your response! Do you have any suggestions for a load with RL-19? I haven't used it extensively but I think I have some left over from my 284 Winchester loads. In the event of a ruptured case in a falling block, where does the gas go? Out the bottom through the lever assembly? I'm just so used to looking for excess pressure signs in a bolt gun that its wierd that flattened primers (notoriously unreliable) is the most noticable way of checking.

By way of comparison, is there any reason a safe load in a 7-08 can't be used in a 7x57?

Thanks for your help! [Smile]

I wouldn't use a 7/08 load in the 7x57...different pressue profiles for sure, as cases are different dimensions.

You might check out a Hornady reloading manual. As I recall, they got best velocities with 154 grain bullets from WW760 (around 2800 fps out of a Ruger 77 w/ 22" bbl.)

I own a Ruger No.1A in 7x57. It's difficult to note too high pressures in the gun. I noticed flattened primers and an notable increase in recoil.

The thing is, with a 7x57, it's not the velocity that does the killing, it's the sectional density of the bullet and penetration. Speer manual has load for up to 50k psi for modern actions, many other manuals limit loads to the SAAMI levels of 46kpsi or less.

I am shooting only 175 gr. Nosler partitions at game now, but have used the 162 gr. Hornady btsp in the past. The 175 grainer gets out of the bbl at a sedate 2550-2600 fps, has minimal muzzle blast and recoil and will kill anything from a antelope to a bull moose at ethical shooting ranges.

3 weeks ago, I shot a medium sized mule deer at 300 yards. Broke ribs going in and out, destroyed minimal amount of meat, and kicked up a big cloud of dust behind the deer, plus left a nice blood trail (only 15' long..).

Posts: 58 | Location: Pocatello, ID | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 7x57 and H414 go together like the .270 and 4831....

H414 will give you more velocity than any other powder according to my chronograph...

You must work up a load slowly as the reloading manuals fall way short for some guns, but start low and work up anyway...If you have a long throat and you should in that rifle, you will need a good deal more of that powder...If you don't have a long throat then you should correct that situation...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote