New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Someone please explain this.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It's static electricity alright. It's worse when the weather is very dry. I didn't notice your location, but in most places, winter air has very little water content.

Get a clothes dryer type fabric softener sheet, and wipe the plastic surfaces with it. It won't eliminate it, but it is about as good as you are likely to do, unless you run a humidifier in your loading room.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is no doubt static electricity. Try wiping the funnel with a dryer sheet.
Pete

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
I made a post a couple days ago called "load help" on this forum. What I forgot to mention was why I was using h-1000 in the first place. I originally started to load the .300 Win Mag rounds in question with RL-22. Then something stange happened. As I would attempt to put the weighed powder charges into the case with the funnel, the powder would stick to the funnel(brand new), even while tapping it so it was impossible for me to get the complete charge into the case. So I washed it with soapy water dried it completly, and the same thing happened. So then I figured I would run a bunch of powder through it, to see if it would coat it and remove the problem.....with the same result. So out of curiosity I ran some h-1000 into the funnel, no sticking. WTF? My only guess is static elec? Will this effect one powder differently than the other or could this be bad powder? Humidity? Also BOTH powders would stick to the inside of my powder thrower(new rcbs) even after I wiped it out, and ran 2 pounds of powder through it(like they instructed). These were individual grains all around the ID of the cylinder. In total I probably ran about 4 pounds of powder through it with the same result every time. This was brand new unsealed powder being run through brand new equipment. Could humidity be doing this(loaded in the garage) or is this static electricity? I can run my finger around the outside of the cylinder very lightly and the grains "followed"(slightly moved) my finger. Can someone explain this to me? If it is static is there anything I can do to correct it? Thanks.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote