New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heavier Bullets in 7MM-08?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I see there are 7mm bullets in the 160, 175, & 180Grn range. Can the 7mm-08 handle bullet weights in this weight range?

firstshot
--------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Rem700ADL shoots 168MK's very well and I use them @ 500m for the ram silhouettes. The twist rate is borderline so you have to shoot them fast as you can. Don't know about the others, but it will probably boil down to twist/velocity.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deke

Thanks for the info. Will probably be starting out with the 130-150 grn bullets, but good to know that will probably handle the heaver bullets as well.

firstshot
--------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
150-160gr, sure, I think Barnes still makes a 195gr, but it probably wouldn't stabilize. Eeker The only problem is when you get over 160gr they get really loooong. In a short mag. they have to be seated deep, stealing some of your powder space, means lower vel. The Speer 160gr GrandSlam is probably one of the shortest & would be good for the 7-08.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Due to length of bullets and the short 7-08 case you need to stick to 150 gr. bullets for the most part...The 160 to 175 take up all the powder space in the small .308 case as they cannot be set out in todays existing factory chambers and magazines...If you want to shoot 175s in a 284 cal. then you need a 7x57 with a long throat and a 06 magazine...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would agree with Atkinson, but add that when shooting the longer bullets, good velocity can be achieved, but you have to get creative with your powder choice. A dense powder like H414 quickly becomes the choice for the longer bullets.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting 175 grain Hornaday spire points out of my Model 70 compact and get decent hunting groups. I use 42 grains of H4350 (what I had on hand), and the velocity averages about 2350 fps. Slightly compressed, and not the maximum according to Hornaday. Some other powder might do better.

Have not had that rifle when I saw a feral hog yet. Federal 140 grain Nosler patition ammo averages 2650 out of this rifle. Interestingly enough the Remington green box 140 grain averages 2750 out of the same rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I needed to add that I seat the bullets to the canalure and they feed fine in that rifle. However there is only about 1/8th of an inch to spare in that rifle.