New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pressure signs in factory loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Being a responsible reloader, I'm always consciously checking new loads for pressure signs, especially hard extraction and flattened primers. Why then does factory ammunition consistently demonstrate these signs?

I've noticed that for the last three rifles I've purchased that factory ammo bought for them has exhibited both of these symptoms quite often. Even more interestingly, it seems to be consistent regardless of brand. My last three rifles were a 7 Rem. Mag (Savage), a 7mm-08 (Remington), and a .22-250(Savage). Ammo from Winchester, Federal, Remington and Hornady has all shown pressure signs. Has anyone else had this same experience? It's no wonder I can never get my reload velocities to match factory, and it makes me nervous to use some of these rounds...

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only time that I have seen pressure signs with factory loads was with my 300wby.Extrusion marks were present and case head expansion was quite noticeable.The rifle was a factory mark V and the loads were weatherby factory loads.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
If you gun shows "pressure signs" such as hard extraction and flattened primers, it may well be a gun problem. Flattened primers are commonly associated with excess headspace. Hard bolt lift can be a sign of same, or out of round chambers.

If you are not getting the speed, it is unlikely you are getting the pressure. FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I realize that Dutch, which had me concerned about my rifle until I saw the same thing in three different guns from 2 different manufacturers using ammunition from 4 different major manufacturers. Now, I'm just more determined than ever to develop good reloads instead. Oh well, just thought I'd see if others had the same problems.

Thanks,

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Tim, I too have a Savage 7MM Rem. mag. that flatens the primers. The bolt lift is ok and there does not seem to be any other pressure signs , I am going to order a set of headspace gauges and a berrel nut wrench and check my headspace . I have a NEF SB2 30-06 single shot that blowes the casings out of round ,at close inspection I found that the chamber is slightly oval at the 6-8 0'clock position when looking at the chamber end . I have 3 other Savages though ,so the barrel nut wrench won't be a waste as I intend to get a Pacnor barrel in 338-06 for one of them in the not too distant future . Peat

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Well, tmoore4627. Please descibe these "pressure signs". It is difficult to try to analyse and comment on what is happening without some more specific, detailed information.

I'd be pretty concerned about stiff/difficult bolt opening, but would not worry about flattened primers - a flattened primer is often the result of any of a number of other possible causes besides excessive pressures. However, if you are getting BLOWN primers, or your primer pockets are expanding to the point that you can notice a difference when seating the new primers, then I would definitely be concerned! I have only seen these kinds of excessive pressure indications once with factory ammo-it was WW .264 Win. Mag. 140-grain ammo that came out at the same time as the new Winchester "Westerner" .264 Magnum Model 70 - some time back around 1960.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Were the "pressure signs" due to external factors?
For example, was it particularly hot that day?
Did you get the oil out of the barrel before shoot?
I found that both can affect pressure.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote