Find
Notify
Tools

Hodgon Powders
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
Can anyone tell me when Hodgon receive their powders from ADI in Australia they add any other ingredients to that powder, before rebranding it as their own?

I am hearing quite a few guys not getting the velocities they should with ADI when the equivelent Hodgon powders are performing as they should.

Both a shooting mate of mine and myself have moved away from ADI and now using genuine Hodgon or Vitavohuri N series powders and seeing the velocities we should be getting.

Regards,

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never heard of Hodgdon adding anything when they recieve the powders. As of different velocities, book velocity always differs from real life for me. With the exception of the Alliant rifle powders. RL22 showed me very consistant numbers and I was only off by about 50fps at most with my speeds. I for one like hodgdon powders and use them alot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No two batches of powder turn out exactly the same. In order to make "cannister grade" powder, batches are tested and classed, and sometimes perhaps blended to meet certain specs. It is possible that ADI powder "x", which is supposed to be the equivalent of Hodgdon powder "z" may have a slightly different spec for its cannister grades. In other words, batches that come off the line on the fast side might be packaged and labelled as ADI "x", and the same powder from slower batches might be packaged as Hodgdon powder "z".

Even in "cannister grade" powder, the variation from lot to lot can be significant, so it's not surprising that you might find a noticeable difference in the "same" powder sold as ADI vs. sold as Hodgdon.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kiwiwildcat, I agree with the comments by BsChoy and Stonecreek, and similarly I don't believe that Hodgdon would add anything to what they receive from ADI.

ADI mentioned on their website that there can be up to 5% lot to lot variation in burning rate for a given powder.

About 3 years ago I had a similar experience to you. I had been using H1000 in various rifles since 1997, and in particular it worked brilliantly in my 25/06AI with the 115 Nosler BT. My field load of 63.0/H1000 would routinely deliver sub 0.5 moa, and about 3,250 - 3,275 fps.

As I was down to my last 20 loads with H1000 (and it was no longer imported), I purchased some AR 2217 which is the Ozzie equivalent. As I was short of formed cases on my first testing day, I took the punt of using the same 63.0 grain load, and hoped I would be safe as the 63.0/H1000 load was just under maximum anyway.

My first shot with 63/2217 produced 3,486 fps, a blown primer, and need a rubber mallet to get the bolt open, and I felt like a dill for breaking the golden rule.

I then fired one of my remaining field loads of 63/H1000 and it produced 3271 fps at the usual near maximum pressure.

The velocity and pressure of the 63/2217 load, indicated that it was probably about 3 grains above max, and subsequent testing proved that to be the case. However, the new maximum of 60.5/2217 would only produce 3,200 - 3220 fps and 1.0 - 1.5 moa accuracy.

I tried AR2217 again when I tested the 130 grain Wildcat, and it gave about 100 fps less velocity than Re25, and VihtN170. It also gave similar results in my 22/250AI when testing the 80 grain Sierra MK.

So at the moment I have about 3/4 of a tin of 2217 that seems to be only good for fireforming cases.

Summarizing the other ADI powders that I use. AR2213sc produces about 75-100 fps less velocity than a variety of powders in both my 22/250AI and 25/06AI. I have not tried its Hodgdon equivalent H4831sc, although I previously used numerous tins of H4831 (long cut).

AR2225 seems to deliver similar velocities and accuracy to Re25 and VihtN170 in my 25/06AI and 257W, but I have not tried its Hodgdon equivalent HRetumbo.

AR2218 produces good accuracy and similar velocities to H870 in my 257W, but I have not tried its Hogdon equivalent H50BMG.

Hope the above is of some help and consolation. Brian.

Posts: 66 | Location: Oaklands Park, South Australia | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote