Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 8mm Gibbs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Mr. Atkinson: I just ran across this post while cruising through the archives:

"You fireform the case in your reloading sizer die screwed into the bolt action with the stem out of course..."

Please elaborate on the special fireforming rifle. With the loading sizer die in the bolt action?

Thanks, Brady

<eldeguello>
posted
I would use .35 Whelen brass or .338/'06 brass. One pass through the 8mm Gibbs FL sizing die, then load...

Of course, if you use .30/'06 brass, you have to neck them UP to .338" first, then FL size them.

The idea of jamming a bullet into the rifling to hold the case back against the bolt face for fireforming leaves something to be desired, IMO, but a lot of Gibbs' customers used to make the .30 Gibbs cases this way when using '06 brass..... I don't remember hearing of any real disasters due to this cause.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Donnally's book, "Handloders guide to Cartridge Conversions" (somthing like that) has details and photos. It's basicly a breach block and firing pin (zip gun style) and a adapter sleeve to tie the die and BB together.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner: Thanks for the explanation; thats one more book I need to buy. So much to read, so little time!