New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody shoot .30 Howell?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looks like a good round, velocity higher than .30-06, short case and very efficient. Found it in a P.O. Ackley book. Doesn't show case dimensions though.

Posts: 207 | Location: Sacramento, CA, USA | Registered: 15 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well if I remember right, it is based off of the 06 case. Ken Howell introduced me to his line of calibers a couple of years ago on a Prairie Dog shoot in Wyoming. One hell of a nice guy and fun to shoot with. He had just come out with his 220 Howell (i think that is what he called it, I have slept a couple of times since then so I don't really recall). He really knew what he was talking about and I was impressed with his knowledge of calibers. If he created this cartridge and slapped his name with it then it should shoot pretty good. I have never shot any of his calibers. So you could give it a try. Just don't know where to find reloading ammo for it, unless he has it posted in his book.

Posts: 99 | Location: Blue Springs, MO | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .30 Howell I referred to was based on a .348 case. I asked the same question in the wildcats thread and someone posted a pic that looks like the one based on .30-06. It's listed as the 300 Howell.

[ 03-15-2003, 18:44: Message edited by: savageshooter ]

Posts: 207 | Location: Sacramento, CA, USA | Registered: 15 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe Ken Howell has a board on the 24 hr. campfire, (if memory serves), called "Ask Ken Howell". Why don't ya ask him? BD

Posts: 163 | Location: Greenville, Maine | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
All six of the Howell cartridges start off with the .30-06 case...the shoulders are changed to 25-degrees, the walls are non-tapered with a OAL of the case set at 2.6". (The .220 Howell is 2.4".)

The Howell cartridges are:
220 Howell (.224), 270 Howell (.277), 300 Howell (.308), 340 Howell (.338), 350 Howell (.358) and 380 Howell (.375).

Supposedly brass is available from Bertram Brass.

I tried several times, a couple of years ago, to get in touch with AHR in order to have a couple of rifles chambered in the Howell calibers...and never received any reply to multiple requests.

I have since given up on the idea.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well BD, I don't know if Ken is doing very much these days. He had a stoke not too long ago and is in pretty poor health. Which is a real shame. He might be in better health now, but not really for sure.

Posts: 99 | Location: Blue Springs, MO | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote