Find
Notify
Tools

22-243 middlestead dies wanted
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted
can anyone hook me up with a set of 22-243 middlestead dies? i would prefer a set of bushing dies. has anyone had much experience forming cases for this cartridge? i understand that necks will probably have to be turned down also. Who makes a varmint bullet in the 80gr range in 22cal? this rifle has been sitting in my safe for three years now and it is time to shoot it or sell it. TIA

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My dies for this cartridge are from RCBS. As my rifle has a 14 twist the heavy bullets aren't very accurate, but 55 gr bullets do real well. You may want to measure your barrel twist before you invest in a lot of heavy bullets. As for the necks, it will depend on the chamber itself, whether it was cut with a tight neck. I use Rem 243 cases and have no problems at all. Just neck size and bump the shoulder, load the primer, powder and bullet into the case, and fireform. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
i had the rifle built for heavier bullets. has a 1:8 twist barrel. i am kickin myself in the butt for not having my gussmith cut me a set of dies when i had the gun built. he no longer has the reamer. how do you like this round? i thought that with the fast twist barrel that this would be sort of a smaller 6-284.

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's quite a screamer. When I rebarrel it, I'll go to a quick twist barrel for the heavier 22 bullets, myself. It does amazing things to coyotes with a 55 gr bullet at 4000 fps though. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote