New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are these the right primers???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The guy at the local Joe's store sold me "bench rest" small rifle BR-4 primers for my 22-250. Are these correct? He said that the "bench rest" is CCI's better quality primer and would work great........YES/NO????? Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Small rifle primers? The 22-250 takes large rifle primers. I don’t use many CCI primers,, I need to look this one up.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me be the first of many that will tell you the 22-250 takes a large rifle primer.
Opinions will vary but I never could see any difference between standard and bench rest primers in my 22-250s except in price. Take 'em back and tell him he's a dumbass and get some large rifle primers. If you want to make a test, get 100 standard LRs and 100 bench rest LRs and have your very own shoot off. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Take them back, he sold you the wrong sized primers.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
The only difference between standard and benchrest/match primers is tighter quality control of the priming mixture. I don't know why people get so hung up over that, one way or the other.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is what you need to make the 22-250 work, and all are large rifle size .210" diameter. Pick a brand and stick with them.
Federal: 210, 210M where "M" = match
Remington: 9 1/2
Winchester: WLR
CCI: 200, BR2 where BR = bench rest
RWS/Sinoxoid: 5341

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I'm having good luck with the CCI BR-2 primers

My 22-250 never shot like this before! dancing

Course it could be that I decided to kiss-the-lands or tighten the neck. So many variables! nilly

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That pisses me off because I had a feeling that he was from the clothing section and was trying to help in an area he wasn't familiar with. I should have known better. I will have his ass tomorrow!!!

He also sold me 30/06 bullets for my 22-250 and said they would work if I just open the neck up a bit. LOL just kidding.

The .224 is the right cal though right??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
I'm having good luck with the CCI BR-2 primers

Course it could be that I decided to kiss-the-lands or tighten the neck. So many variables! nilly

Please explain kissing the lands or tightening the neck.....Thanks! P.S. Was this grouping at 50 yrds???? hillbilly

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dubs22-250:Rule number one in working up a load: Change only one variable at a time. Big Grin

Okay woods, your stage. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
dubs33-250

Woods is using advanced reloading techniques.

No offence intended, but you should stick to
basic techniques. Gain experence. When you are knowledgeable enough that you don't need to ask simple questions. Rather you feel you can answer them. Then move to the Advanced techniques.

It is always great if you can find a mentor to guide your learning journey.

An aside. You should ask to speak with the owner or manager of the shop where you were sold the wrong primers, He needs to know that employee does not belong behind the sporting goods counter. Let the owner/manager handle the employee.

just my thoughts

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey muck

Sorta like "don't try this at home" kinda warning, huh? sofa

Let me see if I can put enough caveats (Caveat, the third-person singular present subjunctive of the Latin cavere, means "warning" (or more literally, "let him beware")) in here.

It is considered less safe to load into the lands as this can increase pressure, sometimes unexpectedly. Jamming is where you actually push the bullet into the lands and just kissing the lands is loading to just touch. I measure to the lands using 2 different methods, the Reeves tool from R-P Products (318-424-7867) and the Hornady LNL gauge

The reason I mention this is to show that I have a good concept of where the lands are. Do not attempt to load to the lands without knowing exactly where they are.

That being said I have found the velocity (which is not always a measure of pressure but is an indicator) to start increasing at .005" off by about 1% and double that increase when you kiss the lands. That is 30 to 60 fps which can be significant if you are close to max. I have not tried jamming yet. For example in a 280AI shooting 160 gr Accubonds with a normal load of 61.4 gr RL22 at .020" off it gets a velocity of 3015 fps average. When I kiss the lands I dropped the load and worked back up to 60.5 gr RL22 for the same average velocity.

As far as the .248" outside neck dimension; if you take the mandrel out of the Lee Collet Neck Sizer and adjust it just right you can reduce the outside neck dimension and increase the grip on the bullet. Just experimenting.

stillbeeman, one variable at a time? That's so slooooow! sofa

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Dubs...

was this a GI Joes up in Portland or something???

half of those guys don't know their ass from a hole in the ground....

BR primers might be worth it to some guys... but for my shooting ability, it is like putting HighTest in a Volkswagen... it still is only going to go at about 80 mph, regardless of how high quality gas you put in it...

I'd just buy your primers at Bi Mart.. even their sales people are smarter than most you'll find at GI Joe's.. and all the ones at our local Bi Mart are women....

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dubs, don't be too hard on the guy, maybe he was from the clothing dept and was just trying to help. Maybe next time, make a trip to your load book and know what you need. It was a shared mistake.

Woods, kinda true but if it doesn't help you, why keep doing it? Or if you go from junebug holes to gnat holes which change caused it?

I'm not a big fan of all the thingies that folks feel they must have to reload these days but I was impressed with the methodical and knowledgable way you set the OAL for your .280AI. (even tho I agree that you were boosting Dub along a bit too fast. He can file that info away for later use. Big Grin )

posted Hide Post
No take them back. I have good luck with match primers but you do not need them for hunting loads, there are no hard and fast rules and some times small changes can make a big difference. I do not use them unless the rifle in question is capable of .75 groups, then you may find them better.

Posts: 2 | Location: Central B.C. Canada | Registered: 18 August 2006Reply With Quote