Find
Notify
Tools

.300 RUM budget blaster experiment
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted
Today I finished the final 10 rounds of fire lapping the bore of a new Savage 112 stainless in .300 RUM. I want to find out how accurate a rifle I can get for the lowest price. I already "fixed" the trigger and have a beautiful, crisp 3 pound trigger with not a trace of creep. I had a new Weaver V series 2x-10x in the drawer, so I threw it on. This may be less powerfull ( the scope) than what will eventually sit on the rifle. Unfortunately, I wanted to try a BSA scope (keeping with the budget theme), but didn't have one in stock. I used Burris Signature Series mounts with the inserts. I'm pretty psyched so far!!! The last 10 shots (while firelapping) went into a 1 1/2" group.All through the firelapping, the gun has shown a tendency to group well. This was with a basic, low power starting load of only 70 grains of RL19. Now I'm ready to start some serious load development. I want to build a warm load that shoots well with 150 gr bullets. Elsewhere in these forums, I see that some have good success with RL22. Since I just happen to have some, I think I'll start with that at maybe 88 grains or so and work up.I'll be using Federal 215 primers. I'm truly enjoying this little experiment, plus I get in some good range time. Anyone have any pet loads for 150, 165, and 180gr bullets, please post. Also , if you have any questions, please don't be afraid to ask !! I'll keep posting as this experiment unfolds.

bowhuntr [Wink]

[ 10-10-2002, 06:52: Message edited by: bowhuntrrl ]

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I went to the range today with my first load attempts. I loaded 85 gr of RL19 with a Federal 215 primer and a 150 gr Nosler BT. I also loaded the same bullet with 87 gr of RL 19. To say this was a failure would be an understatement !!!! The 85 gr load shot best with the muzzle brake closed, but still only a 3" group. The 87 gr load shot best with the brake open, also about a 3" group. The other groups at both loads were 5"-6". I don't know if the powder is theproblem, or the bullet I might try 86gr since it falls between the 85 muzzle brake closed/87 muzzle brake open velocities. I will also try 88 gr of powder in case it wants more velocity. These first loads seem light with no pressure signs and the brass literally falls out after firing. Anyone have any ideas ??? Pet loads for 150 gr and RL 19 ???

bowhuntr [Confused]

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
BH,
Man, start with a SLOWER powder.. rl 22 would be a good start, but a tad fast, and "find" the velocity you want. THEN, use 180's or 200 to build this load, as this gun is meant for 180s, twistwise.

play with the OAL,,, measure the MAX, subtract .0275 and see how it shoots. go plus .005, and then minus .005 and see which one shoots better.

keep your loads to the 300 winnie side, and find where the gun likes to shoot

make sure the barrel aint touching in the stock

wanna buy a BSA?

breath.... remember it's going to HIT you, you've already made that decision, the only one you have left is WHEN..

btw, of all the rounds i've shot, the 3 i shot from a VERY custom 300 RUM where the worst in FELT recoil

jeffe

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<hcfd533>
posted
BH,

I HAVE LOADED 300 ULTRA MAG ROUNDS USING IMR 4350, IMR 7828, R-22, R-25, AND R-19 FOR MY REMINGTON MODEL 700. I HAVE HAD THE BEST RESULTS USING R-22. MY FAVORITE LOAD HAS BEEN 87.0 GRAINS OF R-22, WINCHESTER OR FEDERAL PRIMERS AND 180 GRAIN NOSLER BT'S AND PARTITIONS. THIS LOAD IS A LITTLE LIGHT BUT SHOOTS GREAT IN MY GUN WITH 1/2 INCH GROUPS @ 100 YARDS BEING THE NORM. HAVENT WORKED UP A GOOD LOAD FOR 150 AND 165 GRAIN BULLETS YET. THEY JUST DONT SEEM TO PATTERN AS WELL AS THE 180'S.

ROBBY

one of us
posted Hide Post
Next weekend, I'll be testing mine out (Remington model 700 BDL SS) using 4350 with 180 gr Nosler Partitions. I plan on pushing it up, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
<grkldoc>
posted
I've had very good luck with Hodgdon's Retumbo powder. It is everything H1000 is as far as consistency in velocity but gives you higher velocities than H1000. A truly excellent powder. This also is slow enough to fill the case. Its a little slow for 150gr. bullets. Loading information is available at Hodgdon's web site. Their data is pretty close in my gun.

<bigcountry>
posted
I had a 700BDL 300RUM that would get .7" groups with 180 Nosler PT and 94gr of H1000. I firelapped it, and the groups opened up to 1.6". Never could get it back. Took the smith and video scoped it, and all my rifling was rounded over.

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Got a small break in the rain yesterday and went to the range for awhile. My first group was with 88 gr of RL19, Fed 215, Nosler 150 BT. THis group was a 1.5" group.Apparently the gun wants more velocity with the 150 gr for accuracy. I didn't bring the chrono because it was misting at the time. My next group was Rem. factory stuff with 180 Nosler Partitions. The second shot fractured the windage screw on the rear scope mount and pretty much ended my playing until I can get smoe replacement parts !!! Man, those factory loads kick !!!! The good part was that those two rounds werew nearly touching. I sure wish I could have finished the group. Called Burris this morning and they're sending me some replacement parts. Can't wait to resume testing.

bowhuntr [Wink]

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bowhuntrrl:
Got a small break in the rain yesterday and went to the range for awhile. My first group was with 88 gr of RL19, Fed 215, Nosler 150 BT. THis group was a 1.5" group.Apparently the gun wants more velocity with the 150 gr for accuracy. I didn't bring the chrono because it was misting at the time. My next group was Rem. factory stuff with 180 Nosler Partitions. The second shot fractured the windage screw on the rear scope mount and pretty much ended my playing until I can get some replacement parts !!! Man, those factory loads kick !!!! The good part was that those two rounds werew nearly touching. I sure wish I could have finished the group. Called Burris this morning and they're sending me some replacement parts. Can't wait to resume testing.

bowhuntr [Wink]

OOPS !!! I was trying to edit, and now I can't delete this one. Sorry !!!!

[ 10-14-2002, 20:47: Message edited by: bowhuntrrl ]

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
All the mount parts came in this week, so today I had some time and remounted the scope. I used a Bushnell boresighter to set the scope. Got up the range, not even on the paper !!! I visually boresighted it at 25 yds, whammo, almost in the blacK !!!! I set a target out at the 100 meter backstop and had it dialed in in 2 more shots. I then shot a group with a load of 88 gr of RL19 and Nosler BT 150, Fed 215, Rem brass. This shot a little over an inch. The next load I shot was 89.5 gr of RL19 with same components. I put 6 shots under an inch !!!! It seems that as the velocity increases, the group is shrinking. Maybe I'll hit the "sweet spot" in another couple of load increments. All in all, not a bad day, other than the fact that I may have to send the scope back to the manufacturer. I noticed a couple of problems with it. As I increase the power, the image gets blurry, and also the power ring gets tight at a point when turning to increase power. I also can feel a roughness at this point. So far, it looks like the gun is a "keeper".

bowhuntr [Wink]

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
INTERESTED TO SEE VELOCITIES LISTED! Try 96 GR RL22 for the 150 (3700) fps and 95 gr RL25 for the 180 (3250). Both max loads in some guns. [Wink]

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Got back to the range yesterday. This time I brought a chrono with me so that I could accumulate some data.I decided to try some of the AA Magnum that I have so loaded up some rounds with that , Fed 215 primers and 150 Sierra Gamekings. I was suprised by the low velocities that I encountered and will have to "juice up" this load quite a bit to get where I want to be.I shot the 2 different loads with both muzzle brake open and closed to check for accuracy and velocity discrepancies.

String#1:88gr AA Magnum,FEd 215, Sierra 150
Brake closed

2984 ES=19 SD=10 Avg Vel. 2975
2977 Group size 7/8"

Brake open

2982 ES=12 SD=6 Avg Vel. 2990
2994 Group size 15/16" (2 holes touching)

String#2:89.5 gr AA Magnum, Fed 215, Sierra 150
Brake closed

3049 ES=33 SD=17 Avg Vel 3069
3077 Group size 1 3/8"

Brake open

3082 ES=26 SD=13 Avg Vel 3076
3087 Group size 2 1/4"

The barrel was getting warm by the 4th group and also I had to deal with about 15 mph gusts. I was surprised to see no noticeable difference in velocities with brake open or closed. There may be some difference in accuracy, but I'll need to shoot many more groups before I verify this.I have plans to get back to the range today with some increased loads. The low velocities may have something to do with the 45 degree temperature and air density.

bowhuntr [Wink]