New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-30 with Hornady FTX bullet
 Login/Join

Picture of Specter65
posted
Has anyone tried loading the Hornady FTX (Leverevolution) bullet for 30-30? I have some of the bullets and plenty of brass but am curious which powder would be best to try.

-----------------------------------------
Theology is a way for people to explain that which they don't know. Science is a way for people to say "I don't know this.... Let's figure it out!"

Posts: 15 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 23 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
what bullet weight are you loadin?

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure there is only one bullet....a 160 grainer with a pointed (but soft) tip that is approved for the lever actions.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a little googling found me this:
Data for all ftx's

http://www.hornady.com/support/downloads/load-data

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you've a newer Marlin or AE M94 then you can equal the factory velocity with H335. However the pressure will be higher with the H335 load but not exceed the psi capability of those newer actions. BTW; I have pressure tested (M43 Oehler) the 30-30 LeveRevolution in two rifles, a M94 AE with 24" barrel and a 21" barrel Contender, and compared that psi to the psi of my loads with H335.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Specter65
posted Hide Post
My rifle is a 1956 Winchester 94. I know the pre '64s are supposed to be best but how does it compare to the others you mention?

Theology is a way for people to explain that which they don't know. Science is a way for people to say "I don't know this.... Let's figure it out!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your M94 carbine is about the same as mine which I got in '61. I don't use the LeveRevolution equivelent loadsin my older M94. Just for reference the PSI(M43) in my M94 AE with LeveRevolution, Fed PowerShock and Winchester PPs runs right at 38 - 39,000 psi. To match the velocity in the 24" barrel (2452 fps) of leveRevolution factory ammo with my reloads push 44,000 psi. They are ok for the newer AE M94s and the newer Marlins. As mentionedI do not shoot those loads in my older M94. I do use Lyman's manuals as reference and suggest you look extrapolate the data for the 150 gr bullets and the 170 gr bullets for the 160 gr FTX bullet. I worked up to 34 gr of H335 (WW cases with WLR primers) for use in my older M94 Carbine and the pressures with that load in the M94 AE are comensuarite with the Leverevolution's psi. I suggest if you are going to try this combo you start low and work up as always.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Gibson:
Just for reference the PSI(M43) in my M94 AE with LeveRevolution, Fed PowerShock and Winchester PPs runs right at 38 - 39,000 psi. ...
Nope folks, larry doesn't have a clue about what the Pressure actually is. That is because his totally worthless M43 is not Calibrated and he is using guessed at chamber dimensions - same as always.

A HSGS = Reloaders Pyrite(aka Fool's Gold) and it takes a real fool not to realize it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well folks, we've again heard from Hot Core showing his ass again. Too bad he is so jealous because I measure what he only guesses at. He'd probably like to get into the CHE thing here but even he knows CHE doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of working at 30-30 pressures. He is still on the same old "not calibrated' kick even though the M43 and the gages are "calibrated" which has nothing to do with reference ammuntion. Holy cow, speaking of reference ammunition perhaps he failed (he usually does fail) to notice the use of 3 different factory loads in my above post, including Hornady LeveRevolution, to use as a "reference". Maybe because that's what the big boys (muntion manufacturers) use is "reference" ammuntion and he knows it but is too hung up on his out dated, unreliable and disproved CHE. Reference ammunition is not used to "calibrate" their pressure machines, they use it as a "reference" just like I did. Yup, Hot Core is just showing us how ignorant he still is.

Spectre65; too bad he jumped in here to hijack the thread which is his usual MO. If you any other questions I'll be glad to stay on track and answer them.

Larry Gibson

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you any other questions I'll be glad to stay on track and answer them.
rotflmoAnd I'm sure "incorrectly" as usual.
-----

Actually,CHE can tell you a lot more about a 30-30 than ANY totally worthless Haphazard SGS. If you get any CHE over 0.0001" then you are too hot.

The only Pressure Indicator that tells you anything worthwhile about a 30-30 is the always reliable,neverfail, time proven, inexpensive, Calibratable - PRE - as measured with a 0.0001" capable Micrometer.

Otherwise, it is best to stick with the Loads shown in the Manuals and totally ignore fools who got hoodooed into totally wasting money on a worthless Haphazard SGS.

Just reality, whether anyone likes it or not.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually,CHE can tell you a lot more about a 30-30 than ANY totally worthless Haphazard SGS. If you get any CHE over 0.0001" then you are too hot.

Very dangerous advise as usual from Hot Core. The only thing the .0001" CHE tells you is you have exceeded the elastic strength of the case head and it is expanding. Since you have not "calibrated" that lot of brass to understand what a .0001" expansion means in psi there is no telling what the pressure is or if it is already beyond that acceptable for a 1950s era M94 Winchester. Not only dangerous advise but pretty stupid.

Larry Gibson

PS; I'm not going to respond to Hot Core on this thread about this any further. He is only hijacking another thread with his usual drivel and I will not be a part of it.

Picture of Specter65
posted Hide Post
I have never heard of CHE before. The only caliber I load for is .223 in a Savage rifle but never pushed my loads near max... just to the most accurate charge.

I've shot only factory rounds from my Winchester over all the years and saved all of my brass. I just figured with the 30-30 dies i have access to and a variety of powders, how hard could it be.

I do realize this bullet really changes the 30-30 characteristics. The first thing I noticed was the cannelure being well forward of other .30 cal bullets. To me, this causes it to sit farther into the case, reduce case capacity, and increase pressure with a given charge.

I always knew my rifle wasn't as strong as something like a Marlin but never figured it might be such that anything beyond factory load pressures could be such a big problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spectrer65

Your M94 isn't exactly a "weak" action per say, it just isn't as trong as bolt actions or some single shots. Look at how the bolt is locked at the rear and notice the slight angle of the locking bolt. If you get into to high of pressures for the action it will slightly spring with the locking bolt popping down which slightly opens the lever. I've been there in the past in my exhuberance to make the M94 30-30 more better. Best to keep the 30-30 loads within psi specifications. With some powders you can indeed improve the ballistics but they are still with in psi specs. The Lyman Manual has about the best loading data for the M94 30-30.

There is a long neck on the 30-30 case and the FTX bullet fits it well. With H335 you will not have a problem with case capcity. I've been wanting to work with 748 but I haven't found any since the "run" cleaned most reloading supplies out. However, at 200 fps out of your 20" barreled M94 the FTX does extend the effective range a bit. Where it really shines is in the 24" barreled M94 Winchesters and M336 Marlins.

Larry Gibson

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you get into to high of pressures for the action it will slightly spring with the locking bolt popping down which slightly opens the lever. I've been there in the past in my exhuberance to make the M94 30-30 more better. ...
The above is colloquially refered to as Sheer STUPIDITY! I really thought larry could not surprise me with just how little he knows about Pressure, but he did - again!
-----

Hey Specter65, If you want to know about the always reliable, never improved upon, calibratable and inexpensive CHE & PRE, there is the link.

If you want to see how the totally worthless, non-calibrated, guessed at dimension, WAY over priced, M43 Haphazard SGS did when compared to CHE&PRE, then there is the link to the Gloating thread.

But, if you are relatively new at Reloading(like larry) then it really is the best to stick with Loads shown in the Powder Manuals and Bullet Manuals while you learn about Pressure(which larry never has grasped).

Best of luck to you.