New
Find
Notify
Tools

how many grains is a scruple??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i came across some small coins and they have something about a certain scale co. on them so i'm guessing they are check weights of some sort.... there are scuples, drakmas?, and something like half a drakma in the container...... anyone know what these are? thanks jjb

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
drakma It was the standard unit of silver coinage at most ancient Greek mints
scuple= 20grs
from goggle

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks...... i wonder where i got em at Confused

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I would check the weight of those against a KNOWN standard before I fully trusted it to be correct. Coins are supposed to be pretty well calibrated in all physical characteristics, at least in the US and I would assume elsewhere. My electronic scale purchased long ago (before any of the reloading companies rebranded others scales) came with a 50 gram check weight.
For a reloader it is a bit excessive, but I do have some check weight in the grains (of interest) range that I use occasionally.

It has always checked right on.

I use my trusty ol Lyman for normal reloading purposes anyway.

Bought the electronic scale to weigh cast projies, but never fully got into that project (yet).

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
According to my old 'Shorter Oxford' (only two volumes), a scruple is indeed 20 grains or one-third of a drachm. The drachm is usually spelt dram these days but I can't find any such thing as a scuple.

So, let us take all care with our powder measurements, if not their spellings.

Posts: 5091 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Is that where the saying "he has no scruples" come from? clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Well, Saeed, your meaning came first (c.1526) it seems, referring to fine degrees of morality (cf something was pricking his conscience etc).

The weight dates to at least 1564, as a small, sharp or pointed stone (which might cause discomfort in your shoe - hence, perhaps, the link with the other meaning.)

Posts: 5091 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Is that where the saying "he has no scruples" come from? clap

if i didn't before i do now Smiler..........................