Find
Notify
Tools

Finally 3 into .312"
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted
I was losing whats left of my mind trying to get the 130 grain Barnes XLCs to shoot out of this Win. Mod 70 in 300WSM. Shooting Big Game and H4350 back and forth between Mag and Standard primers, I was feeling like I had forgotten how to load and shoot. I went through a box of 50 without a group to be pleased with. So yesterday the thought occured to me that I should try another bullet.... Loaded 70.0 grains of H4350 under a 125 grain Nosler BT , Fed215M primers and virgin Win cases. After shooting one fouler to smooth out the Blue crap in my barrel the next three restored whats left of my sanity....

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, glad to hear you found the combination. I am always amazed at how they shoot with the right bullet. I have a few that like just one bullet.
David

Posts: 113 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
3 into .312 ???

I'm sure the answer is 0.14 . . .

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Dave -

Knowing Barnes' reputation for lack of accuracy, any time I am loading for a new rifle, I always try some Hornadys, Sierras or something first, just to get an idea of whether the rifle will shoot or not.

Barnes's will make you doubt your loading ability, no question. I don't think I ever have come up with an accurate Barnes load, at least, not with the X's.

R-WEST

------------------
"the spotlight of truth will cause the cockroaches of deceit to run for cover every time"
Rush Limbaugh

[This message has been edited by R-WEST (edited 04-01-2002).]

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<dsverdrup>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Genghis:
3 into .312 ???

I'm sure the answer is 0.14 . . .

I will bet, but never gamble.
Wanna bet?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dave, Congratulations on finding a good accurate combination. Sometimes a rifle just doesn't shoot a particular bullet weight from a specific manufacturer very well.

What were you planning on hunting with that 130grXLC? How do you like the 300WSM? Can you compare it to other 30cals?

Hey Genghis, Kind of looks like 0.104" would be a bit more in line with your thought process, but perhaps division has changed since I was in school! ;^)

------------------
Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
This partciular rifle accounted for five white-tails last season in the hands of my neighbor shooting the 150 grain BST Win factory loads. He was only able to get about 2" out of them and like me strives for sub MOA out of his rifles. He know I like to tinker so he gave me all his components and a set of dies to work him up a load with the 130 grain XLCs. Believe it or not those 125 grain BTs where .075 off of his rifiling! I would have never tried them that deep but they were loaded for my Encore which has a shorter throat. I am really perplexed by the primer issue though. I picked up some WLRs yesterday...I am just concerned about hunting in cold weather with 70 grains of whatever and a standard primer. Anyway I am going to seat the Barnes to this depth over the same powder charge and try both the 215Ms and the WLRs. As far as the 300WSM goes it seems to be fine round..more energy that the '06 but less recoil than sporter weight 300 WLMs. Oh and before any concerned citizens respond about the # of deer, we are allowed to shoot 2/day all season long in this part of VA.

" The tree of Liberty is nourished by the blood of tyrants."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dave, Sounds like he did right well with the factory ammo. But, I agree it is always nice to have a bit more accuracy than 2MOA.

Kind of surprised me that you all weren't working up in the 165gr-180gr weight. Is there a particular reason that you all want to use the lighter bullets?

I also like Magnum Primers in my Hunting Loads and many of them use a whole lot less Powder than the 300WSM. I've had excellent luck with both the Rem-9 1/2M and the Fed-215.

After getting a Load settled down by working up to whatever the rifle indicates is it's SAFE MAX amount of Powder with a particular bullet, I adjust the Seating Depth for the best harmonic and try other Primers as a final "Fine Tuning".

One of my rifles shoots just great with a particular bullet seated 0.268" Off-the-Lands.

Good luck with the Loads.

------------------

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
I have a 30-378 that doesn't seem to like any bullet over 150 grains.
IT LOVES 125 BALLISTIC TIPS--go figure--now there is a great elk combo right!!??

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
I only have 1 rifle that will shoot XLC's great.
378 WBY mag
115gr IMR 7828, 215br, 270 gr XLC
.55" at 100 yds at 3210 fps!

------------------
"Hope for the best.....Expect the worst!"

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
HCore,
I like to start light and work up through the bullet range. That way I have accuracy loads worked up...not to mention its varmint season. We have found few reasons to shoot white-tails with anything over 150 grains. We seldom get out West. I did just get a box of 30cal 165 grain SSTs from midsouth. Once I settle on a load for the 150s (58 grains of Varget is looking very promising with a 215M) I'll start on them. We are talking my 300WSM now not my neighbors....His is resting in the safe while I mess with MY new barrel.....he called the other day complaining that I was gonna shoot his barrel out...he heard me doing my load testing.
Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dave, Sounds like a plan to me.

One of my buddies is in the process of developing some Loads for his 270Win using the 130gr SSTs. Seems to be fairly accurate in his rifle.

I've been fortunate to kill a whole lot of Deer using 30cal 150gr bullets of various types. So, I do agree with you that they are indeed pretty good.

But, I seem to get more consistent Exits when using 165gr bullets. Both work well out past 150yds, but when the Deer is real close(as most of mine are) the 150gr-ers occasionally over-expand and don't make it through the off-side hide. Then it is a problem if they make it into the Beans or Cotton which can swallow them up. So, I've gradually become a fan of the 165gr bullets in the 308Win and 30-06 class of cartridges.

It will be interesting to see if the 300WSM pushes 165gr Standard Grade bullets fast enough to cause over-expansion.

Good luck with the 300WSM. It seems that everyone who gets one really likes it.

------------------