Find
Notify
Tools

.243 V-Max data and/or opinions....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TReX300
posted
I've been shooting Sierra 60 HP's for a long time out of my .243. It's an mid 1960's model 70 with a sporter barrel. It's shoots them pretty good (all I've really shot out of it though). I've been wanting to switch to either a 65 or 75grn Vmax in either the plain or moly coat. I've been trying to find some data for them and can't. I went to a local gun shop and they want $65 Canadian for the Hornady manual and wouldn't even met me look through it. I cant see paying that when I only load for one caliber. Does anyone have the data for these bullets and opinions on them as a 300yrd or better coyote bullet? I dont care about damage as they are a total pest in my area. I want a really good "Bang-Flop" load as we hunt in some real crappy weather at times.

Thanks
Tim

Posts: 48 | Location: Essex, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 19 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This is what I use in my 243. I have a pre-warning Rem. 700 BDL-Varmit that will One-hole with this load @ 100yd.! This has worked in just about every gun that shoots this combo.
IMR 3031/37gr. with the 75gr V-max moly. It ain't no barn-burner but it'll flat out shoot to 500yds with great success.I sighted it in 3' high @ 100yd. and it's dead-on at 350yd.Milk jugs are toast at 400yd holding on the lid. Killed 3-yotes one morning b4 work(Ohio) and the closest one was 425yd and fartherest was 515yd(comfirmed w/range-finder after shots). They didn't have a clue as to where shots were coming from and when they stopped , they got peeled.Shot them off the back porch. Killed several groundhogs at 500+yds with it also.

Posts: 41 | Location: South-central Ohio ,USA | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Piebald,
Thanks for the tip. I just picked up a 243 (Rem. 700 VLS) and have been working up some loads for the thing. Haven�t gotten to the 75 gr. Bullet yet, but I will get some and give them a try. Also like using IMR 3031,works good in the 06 too.

Posts: 23 | Location: Peoples Republic of N.Y. | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Enigma
posted Hide Post
Hello Trex300,

I have the hornady load manual so I could send you some load data via email if you wish. Just let me know what type of powder you use.

Enigma
pilotmomo@yahoo.ca

Posts: 347 | Location: Canada | Registered: 30 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 41rem
posted Hide Post
Savage99, great picture!! Nice shot too, I like to shoot the 58 gr. V-max's out of my Winchester heavy varmint in 243, best load so far will put 5 shots into .80" @ 100 yards all day long.Theyare not favored by the pelt-tanning crowd, but if you just want to flat out kill stuff they are the real deal.....41

Posts: 54 | Location: Hurricane Ridge, Wa. | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote