THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Newb needs help with a new (used) Forster co-ax press

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newb needs help with a new (used) Forster co-ax press
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got this press (age indeterminate, but it looks to be in pretty good shape) & I have a few questions. 1) The lower shellholder jaws seem to be opening slightly (very slightly) unevenly, like one spring may be a bit weaker than the other - they still grip a shell well, release it at the appropriate time, & it seems more or less centered . Since they have some "play" anyway, is this a problem? 2)There is no primer catcher assembly (tube & jar) - where's the best place to get a replacement? 3) upper jaws (primer seating) are too small to acomodate any of the cases I plan to reload for (7mm Rem mag, 300 Win mag, .308) - probably no big deal because I'll probably use a Lee auto prime anyway, but the online instructions on the Forster web site seem to indicate that they will fit most any case. Is mine an older model, earlier design or am I doing something wrong?
4)Best dies? ( I'm a hunter, not a BR shooter, but I like to see nice tight groups!)
Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In order:
1. Not a problem if the jaws are doing their job, however, crud does accumulate under the jaws after time, loosen the allen head screws and lift the assembly up and clean the parts, lube lightly and reassemble.
2. Google Forster and they should have the parts available for sale.
3. The upper jaws have screws holding them in place, loosen and slide the jaws in against the case you want them to fit, then tighten. Be sure to use all three so the primer punch is centered under the primer hole in the case.
4. I use RCBS mostly, every body has their favorites, no one makes really bad dies.
5. When you contact Forster, who makes dies also, ask about instructions for the Co-Ax press and make sure you have the proper size lock rings on hand, not every maker uses the same width rings, it's necessary to use rings that closely fit the slot they slide into. You can buy them from the mfg. but I find them at gun shows or on used dies.

Elmer Keith. Enough said.

Posts: 40 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 06 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bull Snake - Thanks for quick reply. I have already disassembled & lubed the lower jaws. I have also taken the upper primer asssembly off. It consists of a "base" (solid rectangular piece of metal with 2 holes for the screws that attach it to the press & a third hole in the center for the primer seater to go thru) and a second "shellholder" piece on top of it. The "shellholder" is one piece, the same rectangular size & shape as the base, with a "u" shaped opening in the front to slide the case into. The opening is a fixed size even with the screws completely removed. The only screws in it are the two mounting screws that also hold the base on. There is no way to slide the jaws in against the case.

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forster ( http://www.forsterproducts.com/ ) will sell you both shell holder jaw springs (in case you think you need a new set), as well as the drop tube and jar for the spent primer collector.

In fact, if you are ordering springs for the shellholders, order a couple of spares at the same time - just in case you loose one in the future...

Oh, and btw, also get the optional short handle for the CoAx, makes the press much nimbler!

I don't use the priming option on the CoAx press (Lee Autoprime), so I can't help you with that.

I DO like Forster's dies a bunch. Their seater is the best seater available for the $$$. In fact, it is as good (if not finished quite as well) as the Redding Competition Seater. If you want to save a couple of $$$ buying the seater, the seater without the micrometer is just as good - it is just not as easily adjustable as the one including the micrometer.

I very much like Forster's FL dies - I use them whenever they are available. I let Forster modify my dies for (P)FL sizing without using the expander. Forster does this mod by honing the inside die diameter to be a specific (customer specified) diameter. Ensures minimal runout. Even used with the expander, I like the Forster FL die. The expander sits very high in the die, ensuring maximal support for the case when withdrawn over the expander. Well worth the $$$!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eliscomin:
Bull Snake - Thanks for quick reply. I have already disassembled & lubed the lower jaws. I have also taken the upper primer asssembly off. It consists of a "base" (solid rectangular piece of metal with 2 holes for the screws that attach it to the press & a third hole in the center for the primer seater to go thru) and a second "shellholder" piece on top of it. The "shellholder" is one piece, the same rectangular size & shape as the base, with a "u" shaped opening in the front to slide the case into. The opening is a fixed size even with the screws completely removed. The only screws in it are the two mounting screws that also hold the base on. There is no way to slide the jaws in against the case.

The "shell holder" for the primer seater, is actually a receiver for standard RCBS shell holders. You may have to loosen the mounting bolts to insert the shell holder of your chouice.

Regarding the primer catcher. Just get the tube (unless you can make your own). The primer jar can be easily replaced with any screw cap plastic jar (my current one is a spice jar).

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 310 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
eliscomin,

My press is only a couple years old, it would appear that the priming assembly has been changed. Ask Forster for help if you don't figure it out yourself. As AZ Pete describes, it should be easy.

Elmer Keith. Enough said.

Posts: 40 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 06 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forster changed their priming setup on top of the press once upon a time. They have upgrade parts available. I use an RCBS Universal hand primer instead.

For the main shell holder for the press, just make sure your forward screw is set to hold the jaws ever so slightly open (i.e. so they don't quite bottom out in the extractor groove of the case). This keeps the shell holders centered while "closed" on a case, regardless of whether the springs are balanced.

Maybe (ok, surely) I'm an oddball, but I tried the short, ball handle and did not like it. I like the multiple hand positions possible on the tubular grip of the long handle. It can easily be cut off if it is too long, but I found the single grip position of the ball handle less comfortable over time. I should note that I use the press standing up, so swinging back slightly out of the way of the longer handle when it comes down in front is easier than if I were seated on a stool or in a chair. At the start of the stroke, my hand is about at the top of the yoke (base of the tube handle), and as the handle comes down, I slide my hand out along the tube for more leverage, sliding back towards the yoke at the end of the up stroke of the handle.

Forster Co-Ax presses don't show up all that often on the used market. I really like my Co-Ax (my wife bought it new for me a couple of Christmases ago). Congratulations on a fine press.

One more thing, if you want to use a bullet puller on it, either Forster's "Superfast" collets or Hornady's cam-lock puller are the only ones that work on a co-ax. RCBS T-handle, screw type collet puller (and Forster's regular puller) will not work on the co-ax.

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
You can always go to the manufacture for help and instructions...
http://www.forsterproducts.com...ster-manual-2007.pdf

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for the responses & help - some great tips & advice! I had, in fact looked up and printed the PDF "Owner's Instruction Manual" from the Forster web site, but the pictures, parts diagrams, & instructions were not clear enough to answer my questions about the upper/lower shellholder jaws.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
one other note for your jaw closing problem. sometimes if the plate holding the jaws down is used hard and the screws not tightened, it will bend slightly causing your problem. take a look - it will be visable. if that is your problem, just put the plate on a flat surface and tap it straight again

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote