Notify
Tools

What to do with my Sako 6PPC?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Folks,
I got my Sako 6mm PPC that I won on an auction, I was given a scope with
sako rings,Forster neck sizing dies and some used Sako brass. The gun is almost new.

Here comes a couple questions :

My rifle is a Sako heavy barrel single shot, two locking lugs, not three. The bolt
shroud and safety is the modern Sako type.

What kind of twist rate does it have?

What's the range of trigger pull-weight adjustment?

What's the best powder for 6PPC? Most people recommend H322 but H335
seem to fill the case more and gives higher velocity.

Which brand of factory bullet will provide the best accuracy in 6PPC(no
hunting, pure accuracy)?

What about primer brands? Does BR primers mean better accuracy?

Thanks for input.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pyrotek.

I�ll try to give you some info.

The twist is 1-12"

The trigger pull could be adjusted to about 2 lbs. without changing the spring. The triggers are useally quite good.

I live in Sweden so the ranges of powders avalible at a resonable price isn�t quite the same for me and you. I useally shoot Vihtavuori N-133 in my benchguns. Norma 201 is another good choise here in Scandinavia. The 322 is far more popular than 335 among benchresters. I have not used any of the Hodgdon powders enough to give you any personal advise. If you have Hodgdon Benchmark avalible give it a try, I have used that powder on BR matches at New Zealand and in Australia with good results.

I would rank the 70 gr. Sierra MK as the best factory bullet avalible. Your barrel could like other factory bullets better but the Sierra MK is really good! My best 5 shot group with Sierra 70 gr MK in my BR gun is .11". Nosler Bal Tip is useally very accurate as well. Really good benchrest bullets are not that expensive, try to get hold of a few boxes. There is several good bulletmakers in Canada.

In my opinion the primers with the match or benchrest label on the box are not that mutch better than a standard primer. Allmost all benchresters run really high pressure loads and the strength of the primer is a vital part of the coise. I would recomend Rem. 7 1/2, Fed. 205 (match or not) or CCI standard or benchrest. These primers is tough and stand a lot of pressure. There may be other primers that work ok to but I have used theese and know they work!

The barrel on your Sako is hammerforged and you will probably not get as high v/0 as if you had a SS match barrel. You will get plenty of speed out of your Sako barrel anyway. I would dare to say that you have one of the absolute best mass produced rifles when it comes to accuracy.

Make sure that the front scope mound is gentle tapped forward with a piece of wood or sim. before tightening the allen screw. The mounts are good but it�s really important that the base bottoms out on the tapered base before tightening it. Be careful so you don�t break the base when you force it forward.

Good shooting!

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Stefan, thanks for the great info!

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote