New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rcbs ram priming unit.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has any one use this before? I bought one and am having trouble. I tried it on 3 presses and it dont line up with the primer pocket on the shell. What should I do? Send it back to rcbs and see if I can get another one or something else?

Posts: 528 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Call RCBS.

Steve......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1837 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use one without problems..
Where the shell holder goes in make sure there is not any crud keeping it from going all the way in.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Make sure the shell holder is centered in the die.
The size of the hole in the shell holder makes a difference. some of my shell holders have through holes that are larger than others.
one other issue may be with the brass. I have had to chanfer some primer pockets on a couple brands of brass to keep from smashing primers

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll try it again. I tried #2 and #3 shell holder like its hitting the side of the pocket. I will clean up the shell holder and try it again. If don't work I'll call rcbs. Thanks.

Posts: 528 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you mean the standard one that goes up through the ram and you raise the handle to prime, then I have used this one for 40 years; had to replace the large rifle punch because it wore out. Take your shell holder and see if the punch bushing will go into it smoothly. If not, it is the bushing, usually, especially if it won't fit into more than one shell holder.
And I use all makes of shell holders, literally all from Herters to Lee, without drama.
Check the punch bushing. for burrs, dented, smashed, not round, etc.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
dpcd:
+1 tu2

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Spin the shell holder type unit into the ram counter clock wise.
If this doesn't help, there is a Shell holder Retainer Clip in the ram that may need adjustment or replaced.

Mine works great.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 243winxb:
Spin the shell holder type unit into the ram counter clock wise.
If this doesn't help, there is a Shell holder Retainer Clip in the ram that may need adjustment or replaced.

Mine works great.

Mark Clark is posting the correct product I believe and 243winxb is absolutely correct, you are not snapping IN the rod holder correctly so it is off center.
By the way I just bought an RCBS bench top automatic priming tool and I love it.
In the past I used the tool mentioned by the OP and the hand priming tool, this automatic has them all beat...

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you using an RCBS Shell Holder? If not, try getting one for the reason that the other brands have larger holes in the center of the shell holder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Ram primer tool for thousands of rounds with no malfunctions when I screw everything in place correctly. Proper alignment is essential for the shell holder. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rcbs ram priming unit.

RCBS Ram Prime

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote