New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small Flash Holes in S&B Cases?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just traded for a Baikal 221 in 06. The rifle has been fitted with a new extractor and machined to take a rimmed case. I can also be used with regular 06 cases with the old extractor. I have cases made from 9.3x74R that work. I have a bunch of 7x65R that I was going to form into useable cases, as well. I ran into a big problem. The flash holes are smaller than my decapping pin in my Redding dies. The first one seems to have been a bit off center as well. When I was expanding the neck, apparently the pin did not enter the hole at first, and I bent the decapping stem slightly. The decapping pin went into the flash hole and then got stuck. In more than fifty years of reloading, I never ran into such small holes. The pin stuck in the hole and I had a heck of a time driving it out. I've used other S&B cases and haven't seen this. Anybody else run into this before?

I know I need to replace the decapping stem. But what drill size do I use to open up the other flash holes?
Thanks
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont think Sellier&Bellot cases is worth the trouble with reshaping unless its the only choise, buy rws or other cases.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote