New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good .223 Reloads for AR15 (?)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've worked up a couple of good .223 loads for my 700VL but have just ordered a Rock River Entry Tactical. Any suggestions re loads?

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The service rifle load in the front of my Sierra manual (can't remember which issue) has worked fine in mine (.5 MOA). It think it was 26.5 grains of VV N-135 and a Sierra MatchKing. When I get home tonight I'll verify the real deal.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's the twist rate ?. What are you doing with it ?. Projectile weight 50-55 grain or 55-70 grain ?.

My BushMaster E2S target makes regular 5 shot ragged hole groups .500 - .325 " with 55 grain projectiles backed by 25.5 BlC-2 at 100 Yd.. My best groups come from Sierra , Hornady 65 68 69 grain HPBT or Match .These are still under development so I wouldn't give load data until I've checked everything on these .

Those can more times than not be covered by a dime If I'm lucky .285" is the best I've seen so far !.

Not many bolt guns will do that !.... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
25.5grs H-335, Sierra 52gr HPBTM. I think it was Les Baer that uses this to test their AR's with since it shoots so well in many different AR-15's though maybe not ones with a 1-7 twist.................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the twist rate of a Les Baer?. I know my BushMaster is supposed to like heavier bullets .

What I've found is contrary , it all depends on the powder and charge as to what works well .

H335 is a very accurate powder for several calibers as is BLC-2 , H4198 Varget BenchMark on and on !... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load about 8 thousand per year of the sierra 77s with 23.7 grains of TAC powder. We recently ran a test with a scoped RRA CMP rifle and at 300 yards from a very good rest were keeping the groups under 2 inches. There was no wind and the temps were in the mid 70's. We have (our rifle team) used this load now for 3 years in all of our rifles out to 600 yards. We have between 8 to 10 rifles that shoot this load. We recently tried out 23 different loads with the conditions listed above with the result that the TAC shot the best with some loads using RL 15 coming in close. We have also had some real good 200 yard loads using WW748 and Hornady 60s. Please start out 10% below and work your way up etc. Oh, all the brass was LC once fired trimmed and deburred inside and out.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All groups were 5 shot.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. So far I have: 1) 55 gr with 25.5 BLC2, 2) 52 with 25.5 H335, and 3) 77 with 23.7 TAC. Waiting for triggertate's load.

The Rock River Tactical Entry has a 1:9 twist rate.

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Do you crimp your bullets in the cases? If so what die do you use?

Posts: 1 | Location: Thjree Forks, Montana | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Mike, my Colt is also a 1 in 9 and the link to 500 grains post may be of help to you.

500 Grains Post

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike ditto on 500 grains post . I also replied with loads that I just finished with !... salute salute

posted Hide Post
I've had great luck with Speer 52gr BTHP Match bullets, 27.4 gr W748, CCI Small RIfle Magnum primers. Finally got my dime sized group and no worries about metering.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the 500 grain link, I'll check it out. I do crimp all my reloads with the Lee Factory crimp (rifle that is).