THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Sub Sonic 450 Bushmaster In A 10.5 Inch Barrel, AR Platform

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sub Sonic 450 Bushmaster In A 10.5 Inch Barrel, AR Platform
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any body have any experience or loading thoughts. Looking at using a Swift 325 grain A frame bullet. I was thinking with trying some VV 3N37 or 3N38 and use a cotton swab buffer to fille the case. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Obsidian 45 gets out of BATF&E jail soon.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
New member: welcome.
Do NOT make up loads using cotton swabs as fillers; If you use the right powder you don't need a filler; like 5744.
I, personally, don't understand why anyone wants to shoot weak loads, that's my thoughts. I like them Full. They do kill deer and hogs better when the bullet goes fast. I built 8 450s on Mausers last year. But I do read here that guys want weak and quiet rifles; I have AirSoft guns for that.
If you want weak loads, just get a 9mm upper.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gotta be under 1,000 fps to stay sub sonic. Too much of a slower power will send unburnt powder into my suppressor.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
5744 is not too slow and works well with large bore black powder velocities.
It's all the rage about quiet and slow loads that I just don't understand.
But other guys here are in love with that kind of thing and will chime in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot from inside my basement (semi exposed) out a door with a window that I open. I can only shoot when the wife is away though. Silenced I may be able to shoot even if she's napping. Cool

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is the only good reason I ever heard for having a silencer on a rifle!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a PISTOL! No brace.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trail Boss is the best reduced load powder I've used, closely followed by 5744 (as dpcd pointed out).

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Here is my set up.

I can shoot with the bottom half that window open.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
New member: welcome.
Do NOT make up loads using cotton swabs as fillers; If you use the right powder you don't need a filler; like 5744.
I, personally, don't understand why anyone wants to shoot weak loads, that's my thoughts. I like them Full. They do kill deer and hogs better when the bullet goes fast. I built 8 450s on Mausers last year. But I do read here that guys want weak and quiet rifles; I have AirSoft guns for that.
If you want weak loads, just get a 9mm upper.

5744 is not good powder for this subsonic load (325gr A-frame, .450 Bushmaster and 10.5 tube). There is about 34 % of unburnt powder indicated by QL. Similar results from GRT too.

And BTW, new member is asking for load and help, not for I don't understand "wisdom" and stupid advice on 9mm upper.

Jiri

Posts: 2108 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Lord of Lawn Chair:
Any body have any experience or loading thoughts. Looking at using a Swift 325 grain A frame bullet. I was thinking with trying some VV 3N37 or 3N38 and use a cotton swab buffer to fille the case. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Obsidian 45 gets out of BATF&E jail soon.

I will be going the same procedure for my .338 LM rifle soon. My suppressor is on the way. I will use VV N32C powder and cotton wool. Following instructions here:

http://peregrinebullets.co.za/...ng-subsonic-bullets/

For 3N37, subsonic speed should be with 12 gr, for 3N38 with 14 gr, but here you will get about 5 % of unburnt powder.

For N32C, 13 gr is right and is about 66 % filling rate, so I believe no cotton is required.

IMR TrailBoss also 13 gr, filling rate 98 % - I believe the best choice.

Jiri

Posts: 2108 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Starting a new thread.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Lord of Lawn Chair:
Starting a new thread.

Honestly, no need for 3 or 4 more threads for the same topic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some sites only allow so many giggy wiggles per post. I'm new here. Besides my first post was a question. This last one is the answer.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
It is good to keep in one thread. Anybody else can easy follow from the problem to the solution. It is at least my opinion. Starting separate thread is good for spin-off problems or topics.

Jiri

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To take this even further off topic.... I tried to put it all into that thread but every time I left my reply to go get a picture I lost everything I had already typed. Had to start from scratch again. Was very frustrating. I must be doing something wrong. If you know any moderators that can consolidate all this please have them do so.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Mr Jiri; please stop reading anything I post; we all know by now that you don't like my suggestions, which are for anyone to accept or not, as they see fit; my stupid remarks are not for you. The reason is, that until someone removes them, I am allowed to post my ideas and opinions, regardless of whether you like them or not. We already know that I do not understand nor have any use for light loads; If I want a slower bullet, I will use a smaller cartridge. I do know that others, disagree. That is sort of the way this forum works, short of calling people stupid, which I would never do.
For the OP; to post photos, get an IMGUR account and AR will let you post all the pictures you want. AR does not host pictures within itself.
Size them, Large Thumbnail and they will be easy to see in your posts. Copy the BBC code and paste it here.
That way you won't lose anything you wrote or any other pictures. The pic you posted above was in Huge Thumbnail, and is just a huge blur; ie, way too big.
And I will help anyone here as best I can.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I use trail boss for light loads for my wife using 300 grain bullets around 1000 fps but don't use a suppressor so I can't give you results there.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3077 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks dpcd. I edited that post. Looks better now.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is sort of the way this forum works, short of calling people stupid, which I would never do.

Called that advice stupid, not you. If you took it personally, I want to apologize here.

Jiri