New
Find
Notify
Tools

NorthFork bullets... Where to get?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm interested in working up some loads and trying the NorthFork bullets. I'm impressed with their website and the design of these bullets. Do any vendors sell these besides directly from the manufacturer? Prices listed on the website are $53 for 50 of the 350gr .458's and I'm wondering if they can be had for any less than this. Most of the time it seems that the manufacturers website prices are higher than what the vendors end up selling them for.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
458:
I really like the accuracy I get from Northforks but to be honest, I can't personally comment on their performance on game never having taken an animal with them. Yet! I use them in my .338 WM but I've never heard nor seen them offered thru any 2nd source. I've found Mike at NF to be very friendly & helpful. As I recall, the recommended way to work up a load with them is to begin with a less expensive bullet in the same weight and use that one to work up a load you're satisfied with. You then back off on the powder charge by about 8% & gradually increase powder until you achieve the velocity in your original load.
In my case, I used a 225 gr. Hornaday in the .338 with Rldr-22. My accurate charge was around 74-75 grs. as I recall. Going to the 225 gr. NF, I achieved the same velocity with about 70.5 grs. My velocity is right around 2835 fps.
Yup! You don't want to use them to work a load up from scratch but I found it relatively easy to get the results I noted above.
Don't know if this will help or not but it's what happened with me. I know I like them better than Partitions since they're more accurate. Before I went to them, I did a search on different outdoor sites & could not find a single negative comment about them. I'm a true convert now.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot giraffe and cape buffalo with the North Fork cup nose bullet (not on their website yet) and it was excellent. You get NF bullets from the manufacturer. www.northforkbullets.com They are expensive because they are worth it.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a lot of plainsgame, and dangerous game, mostly Buffalo with the Northforks, softs, flatnose solids and the wonderful cup points...

I will flatly state that Northfork is the best bullet ever made, of that I have no doubt..I have a box full of recovered softs from buffalo, and plainsgame and some cats, and they all look exactly alike as do the cup points and flat nose solids..some of the softs are from spine shots on Buffalo and Eland, they shattered the heavy spine and still are picture perfect mushrooms, just like the ones I have recovered from Impala...

I also like Woodleighs, and Noslers but Northforks have the edge on them without a doubt...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote