New
Find
Notify
Tools

95 gr. jhp in 38/357
 Login/Join

<nated>
posted
has anyone done this? what loads and velocity can you get out of a 4"? accuracy? thanks for any info. nate

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Tried it back in 1978 or so...

Muzzle blast was terrible, and accuracy was lousy...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<2ndaryexplosioneffect>
posted
S&W Model 28, 3 1/2 inch barrel.

Case: Winchester
Primer: CCI-550
Powder: Blue Dot @ 14.5gr.
Bullet: 110gr. XTP

High Velocity: 1635 f/s
Low Velocity: 1528 f/s
Extreme Spread: 107 f/s
Average Velocity: 1577 f/s
Standard Deviation: 41 f/s

****TAKE NOTE***** This is an N frame S&W and about the strongest frame 357 you can get your hands on. This load in your little Model 19 S&W could blow your head clean off!

Disclaimer as it is... This is my standard load now. This load is over book max. for a safe load according to the manuals. It makes a hell-of-a muzzle blast and a real big hole. Accuracy is good and recoil is less than 158gr. hot factory load. I have fired 500+ rounds of this load and have found no hard extraction of cases or other pressure signs indicated by the brass.

The reason I shoot this over maximum load according to the manuals, is that it gives me the best standard deviation in velocity and good long-range accuracy. The recoil is about the same as a smaller frame 357 with 158-grain bullets and makes a great self-defense �momma� gun. Besides if she misses the muzzle blast will BBQ the bad guys :-)

Be careful, start with a reduced powder charge,

Soot Safe,
Mike