THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: Percentage powder change/same powder/change case

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Percentage powder change/same powder/change case
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
At the risk of sounding glib, I leave the math in the library, and only take one brand of brass to the press.

In answer to your question, No. You could probably work it out with a chronograph if you wanted to take the time.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
There just might be an enourmous amount of wisdom in that information. It's all new to me and frankly I'm not certain of it's value but not to "poo poo" it, I'd walk away from it and get back to the basics.

The world is full of self proclaimed experts and the gun world may have a few more than the rest.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use QuickLoad, and it will predict these things given enough information. It is amazing, but I won't trust it any farther than the next trip to the range with a workup of test loads. Don't calculate and shoot, just estimate and test.

By the way, QuickLoad estimates the difference for most powders in the top charge that would get the same velocities for 7.62 x 51mm and .308 Win brass to be 1.5 to 1.7 grains, depending on the powder. I sat there and worked this out for several powders. That figures out to be a lot less than 12%. Remeber, those are theoretical calculations based on averages, not actual and verified numbers, so do not use this as a loading guide, just cogitate on it.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think this is:

1. Another glaring example of how anal stool shooters can be.

2. A desperate gun writer that had to get so many inches to the editor before the deadline.

While this may have some slight validity in the minutiae of bench shooting -right up there with "do you weigh or measure your powder to adjust for changes in atmosphere, in the real world it is full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

And, while we're on the subject, I think some shooters spend too much time fooling with their calculators, measuring thingies, programs and such when they could get their answers and some valuable practice at the range.

Let the flames begin.

a quarter grain of powder.........geeeez.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beeman, What you said! I bequest you an invisible asbestos cloak for any flames. I can assure folks that measuring a 1/4 grain or less is a whole other can of worms. Glen Zediker said that a great way to sort your loads is by counting X's, go figure, you got to shoot em to count em.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote