New
Find
Notify
Tools

New .338 WinMag Deer Load
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I used my Savage M116 rifle in Alaska for 15 years before moving to Texas, killing moose, caribou and black bear using "normal" .338 Mag loads. But the deer in Texas are small and they don't need a 250-grain bullet driven at 2600 fps. I've been using the Hornady 200-grain SP down-loaded for deer and hogs for several years using BlueDot with fine success, but this week I decided to see how SR4759 would do. I started at 38.0 grains and worked up to the IRM maximum load of 39.5 grains SR4759 behind the 200-grain Hornadys.

At 90*F there were no excess pressure signs, and accuracy was very good. This rifle has never been a tack-driver, 1.5-2 moa is usually its best with magnum level loads. Even though the range was very windy (it shows in the group) I was able to shoot a respectable group at 100 yards. Chronoed just under 2400 fps. It is slightly more powerful than the .33 WCF and just below the .358 WCF - perfect for deer out to 200 yards. Fine accuracy, plenty of power, and recoil about like a .308 WCF....

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Should work well on those small TX whitetails heck a lot of people use the 223 on them.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes they do, and they wound and lose a lot of deer too. Head shots seem the preferred .22-caliber shot, and the small always-moving taget gets missed - a lot. I've found several rotting deer carcasses with head wounds......

When I lived in Alaska it was common for Alaskan Natives to hunt moose and caribou with .223s. The cartridge worked, but they too lost game - just because it kills does not mean it is appropriate. I've killed 5 deer with an AR-15 (with 6 shots), and IMO using a .22-caliber rifle on big game is either a practical necessity (no larger rifle available) or a stunt. Lots of folks seem to get off on "proving" they can kill game with inappropriate cartridges......

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said!!! I often tell people that the game deserves the respect to be killed quickly and with the least chance of wounding it and suffering. I do not mean you need to use a 460Weatherby for tree squirrels but a 22cal bullet, no matter the construction or intended shot placement, is a varmit cartridge not a big game one. Heck it has been shown many times over many years that the 223 is not good for 2 legged varmits in all conditions.

I am with you. Just because you can or it is legal does not mean you should or it is a good idea. I have shot ground squirrels with my 338Win mag and my 50bmg. I can, it is legal, but it is not the best choice. My 22RF/223/204Ruger/6mmRem or even my 25-06 are better choices.

I have some 200gr Hornady and Nosler bullets and that powder. I just might try that load out as then I could use mine on our small Black tail deer here.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am interested in this idea of using SR4759. Did you find an accuracy sweet spot and did you use standard or magnum primers? Thanks for any info.

Posts: 69 | Location: Canada | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tx, be prepared for a .338 hole going in, and a .338 hole going out. It won't open up much. I know that with the 200gr spears you can shoot through a mulie the long way and they still don't open up much.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote