New
Find
Notify
Tools

H4831SC powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has any here used and had any luck with this powder and Berger 168g VLD bullets? Im wanting to try using this powder on a 7mm Rem Mag. I know there are better powders out there but what I have available is the H4831SC and H4350.

thanks

Posts: 39 | Location: N. Oklahoma | Registered: 31 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both of the powders you have are excellent in the 7 mag and reloading resources abound.
I am sure Berger will give you their loads if you ask.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How is it that you know there are "better powders out there"? H4831 SSC would be among my top choices for most 7mm RM loads, although IMR 7828SSC might coax a little better velocity out of the heavier bullets. H4350 will work, but is a bit on the fast side for this application

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For example: Retumbo is a better powder IMO because I have used it before on other applications. Right now I do not have any on hand. So, my question stands.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 65 grains of it in my 300WSM with 180-grain Sierra MatchKing bullets. I get 1/2-minute groups out to 300 yards if I'm on the stick that day. I get just as good results when using the same charge weight and same bullet with RL-22...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stymie:
For example: Retumbo is a better powder IMO because I have used it before on other applications. Right now I do not have any on hand. So, my question stands.

Better how? H4831sc is a classis powder for slightly overbore roundsespecially w/ heavier bullets. I often get best accuracy with it. A better choice than H4350 IMO for the 7rm. I prefer IMR7828, but that is just what works for me. It give me sim accuracy to H4831sc w/ about 75fps more vel.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. But as I stated in my example, "In My Opinion" from my personal experience. Nothing more nothing less. So now I know that I can use what I have on hand.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did email Berger and they forwarded me loading data for the 168g VLD. Thanks for the tip on contacting them.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The best powder that I've found for use in my 7Mag is H4831sc.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote