THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Powder almost filling case to top of case neck - normal?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder almost filling case to top of case neck - normal?
 Login/Join

posted
Greeting fellow forum members;

I am a new guy to reloading -- I am loading my very first cases now -- but have a question:
The load data shows the following for 338-06 using Sierra 215 grain GK's using Re19 - 61.9 / 63.2 / 64.5 / 65.8 being max.
I have loaded up to 64.5 and the powder almost fills the entire case -- there is just a little space in the neck for the bullet.
I am dropping the charges into the 5-0-5 scale pan, trickling up to the weight and then pouring into the case with a funnel --
I am not certain if this is normal or not? The bullets seat easily. The manual does not say it is a compressed load. The measured C.O.L. is is 3.334

It is my understanding this stick does not settle as well as ball -- but not sure that is the reason.

I had planned to load 65.1 then the max of 65.8, watching closely for pressure signs.
If this information helps - the rifle is a Rem 700 with a Douglas XX 24" barrel.
I have shot half a box of A-Square ammo with the 200 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip.

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Proverbs 30:7-9 (New International Version)

7 "Two things I ask of you, O LORD;
do not refuse me before I die:

8 Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread.

9 Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
and say, 'Who is the LORD ?'
Or I may become poor and steal,
and so dishonor the name of my God.

Posts: 16 | Location: Benton, PA | Registered: 05 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
you are close to a compressed load for that case powder combination.
you can use a drop tube or pour the powder in slowly or pour in about half and tap the case to settle the powder.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hivelosity,
Thanks - without the benefit of experience - I thought it best to ask you great folks.
I thought it was strange that the case seemed so filled and still not near max charge. I'll half fill it and tap it down as suggested.

Tom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can also use your funnel to get the powder to settle better when filling the case. Hold the lip of the pan close to the top of the funnel and pour so that the powder 'spirals' towards the opening in the bottom. This will give you a much better packing scheme for that powder, it may also improve accuracy wildly.

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TVM, are you loading new cases?? If yes, it is common for new cases to have less internal volume than fired/sized cases.

OK, this effect will not bring your powder level down to non-compressed with fired cases, but the effect is noticeable.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
mho - yes, the cases are new unfired 35 Whelen cases I sized down to .338

416RigbyHunter - I will try the method in combo with half filling the case and tapping it down.

I will be loading the two heaviest loads now and am glad to have these methods to try out.

Thanks again. T

one of us
posted Hide Post
We should also mention: ATTENTION if the loads you are citing have been developed using different brass, there is no guarantee these loads will work in the brass of your choice.

If you are experiencing compressed loads way below what the book would have lead you to expect, perhaps it is a good idea to fire some of the lighter loads first, and see what pressure does in your gun with your components. Sure you can load to max from the start, but maybe an additional trip to the range would be more prudent.

Some manuals are pretty optimistic (the Vihtavuori manual springs to mind). It is foolhardy to simply expect that book max loads are OK in your rifle. Work up from below.

I'll get off my soap-box for now...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
one thing I find when having the same happen is to take my finger nail and tapping on the extraction grove to help settle the powder. you dont need damage your self or the case, just a lite tap a few times should do it. You will see the powder dance a little in there and appear to "sink" deeper into the case.
Let us know your results.

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are using a "donor" case (.35 to.338) did you determine if the interior capacity (space) is the same , less or greater than the factory case? If you are squeezing down brass, the excess brass has to go somewhere so there is a good possibility you will wind up with a smaller case capacity than you will have with a factory case! Smaller inside dimentions equals higher pressure using identical loads published for a factory case! BE SAFE! The advise to try some of the lighter loads first is bang on! Have a great day.

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is important to note that different brands of brass are thicker than others and will reflect in how close the powder comes to the top of the case. Remington brass is thicker but also softer than Winchester. Top end loads of certain powders will show more "fullness" in Reminton brass than Winchester. Remingtion brass will also show pressure signs more readily(sticky bolt lift, case extraction) than Winchester. The harder brass contains the pressure of the ignition better and the brass does not "flow" as quick like soft brass does. That is why I use Winchester brass whenever possible. Ease of bolt lift and ease of case extraction to me are the best indicators of excessive pressures. I believe Norma brass is on the same scale of hardness as Winchester but I am not certain. I do know that Norma is of excellant quality. You do always want to be safe and work up your loads but I think tapping your cases and settling the powder before seating the bullet is a waste of time unless you simply cannot get the bullet to start seating. Once the bullet is seated the powder will settle plenty just from handling and tranporting in a vehicle.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont't know if ths will help, but when I load a case I'M usually tumbling cases in a vibrbatary tumbler, I just rest the case lightly on the top of the tumbler for about 2 seconds ( at most ) the powder settles right down. I don't load near max, usually mid range, I just don't like compressed charges ( but that's just me). I hope this helps..... lost

Posts: 25 | Location: nc | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rae59:
It is important to note that different brands of brass are thicker than others and will reflect in how close the powder comes to the top of the case. Remington brass is thicker but also softer than Winchester. Top end loads of certain powders will show more "fullness" in Reminton brass than Winchester. Remingtion brass will also show pressure signs more readily(sticky bolt lift, case extraction) than Winchester. The harder brass contains the pressure of the ignition better and the brass does not "flow" as quick like soft brass does. That is why I use Winchester brass whenever possible. Ease of bolt lift and ease of case extraction to me are the best indicators of excessive pressures. I believe Norma brass is on the same scale of hardness as Winchester but I am not certain. I do know that Norma is of excellant quality. You do always want to be safe and work up your loads but I think tapping your cases and settling the powder before seating the bullet is a waste of time unless you simply cannot get the bullet to start seating. Once the bullet is seated the powder will settle plenty just from handling and tranporting in a vehicle.

This man speaks the truth!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have Remington brass -- so what you guys are saying is spot on! I have to admit I was not expecting so much feedback. This forum (meaning you guys) are awesome and I can see this reloading hobby has a lot more to it than the reloading manuals indicate.

I was searching for the answer to the question I posted here in the three reloading manuals I have (Nosler, Speer, Barnes) and found nothing close to what you guys have provided me. I guess I know where to go when I need some "real-world" information!

I will load some more cases tonight and post how it went.

Thanks.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
In my 338-06, 65gr of RRL19 pretty much fills the case. If you use a long 12" drop tube or vibrate to settle, you can just seat a 200-210gr bullets w/ slight compression. I have better results w/ H4350, but that is jut my rifle.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
fredj338 -

You are right on. I just finished loading my last rounds for this weekend's range trip and those last rounds were just about filled to the mouth of the case.

The last two loads were 65.1gr and 65.6 (the manual has a max of 65.8 grains) for the 215 gr Sierra BT GK. I will watch very closely for any slight sign of excessive pressure as I work up to those last rounds. I am not a speed demon, or I would not have chosen the 338-06 in 338 if I wanted magnum velocity. Cool

I won't hesitate to use my bullet puller on those rounds if I don't feel safe with them.

Thanks again fredj338.

posted Hide Post
Jame Kain - I tried pouring half a charge and tapping it before adding the rest - it did help. But like hivelosity said, I am close to a compressed load already. I had some success but the cases are almost filled. My luck I picked Re19 as my first powder to load with. I have a feeling a ball powder would not fill the case so much. Reload and learn! lol

fredj338 - I read a LOT of posts on here about the 338-06 (a lot by you thanks!) before I had this rifle put together. I tried to get H4350 but with the shortages could only get the following: IMR4320, H414, H380, RE15, RE19, & H4895. The H4895 is to try out the 50 rounds of Speer 275 gr bullets. Smiler

Thomas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TVM - Beware that ball powders tend to be more temperature sensitive. If you load anywhere close to max. in your gun, and your cases were left in the sun (say on your dash) you will get some pressure signs pretty quick. And on a real cold day the opposite is true.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
TVM - Beware that ball powders tend to be more temperature sensitive. If you load anywhere close to max. in your gun, and your cases were left in the sun (say on your dash) you will get some pressure signs pretty quick. And on a real cold day the opposite is true.

So what your saying if I hit the range again this year at -45*(yes I do mean again) then I can double up my charge sense I m not going to get pressure sines?

Anybody unfamiliar with said topic I m only kidding.

But what I want to know is how did you find out about the dashboard and pressure sines?
fishing

Jokes aside, I was not expecting to see such incite on this topic. I have learned a few things.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TVM:
Jame Kain - I tried pouring half a charge and tapping it before adding the rest - it did help. But like hivelosity said, I am close to a compressed load already. I had some success but the cases are almost filled. My luck I picked Re19 as my first powder to load with. I have a feeling a ball powder would not fill the case so much. Reload and learn! lol

fredj338 - I read a LOT of posts on here about the 338-06 (a lot by you thanks!) before I had this rifle put together. I tried to get H4350 but with the shortages could only get the following: IMR4320, H414, H380, RE15, RE19, & H4895. The H4895 is to try out the 50 rounds of Speer 275 gr bullets. Smiler

Thomas

As someone else stated it may just be your cases. Where did you start your work up from? Or did I miss that already posted. If posted tell me and I will read down it again.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James Kain:
quote:

The trouble with temprature isn`t so much going to a cold envirement as much as to a warmer one. Pressures will drop with temp in most cases, they also rise when heated and that can cause trouble with loads that are already on the edge. Work up a load in 30-40 F temps and shoot with your ammo in the sun on a 90 f day and you could have real problems.
Ball powders are known to be a bit more sensitive then extruded but temp affects all types, even Hodgdons "extreem" line.

So what your saying if I hit the range again this year at -45*(yes I do mean again) then I can double up my charge sense I m not going to get pressure sines?

Anybody unfamiliar with said topic I m only kidding.

But what I want to know is how did you find out about the dashboard and pressure sines?
fishing

Jokes aside, I was not expecting to see such incite on this topic. I have learned a few things.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ok gentlemen, I am off to my "cabin in the woods" for the weekend. No TV, no internet, just rural America. I'll post my range results after I return Monday night.

Thanks again everyone.

Thomas

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok gentlemen, I am off to my "cabin in the woods" for the weekend. No TV, no internet, just rural America. I'll post my range results after I return Monday night.

Thanks again everyone.

Thomas

OK Have fun be save and make sure you hit the intended target....not the ex... :-p Unless your talking my ex!

My first loads under persuasion by a ex-friend were bad, they were always maxed out and I didnt know any better then.
But what I know now I m suprised I didnt blow my self up. As for him, he has moved on and now got another one of his friend to load and they are still doing max or over max loads.

So as you learn more your groups will improve! That is true for 2 reasons, 1 your shooting more, and 2 your learning to refine what your doing.
You have taken a huge step in showing you want to learn more and improve your self, and a reloader and perhaps learning more in that will improve other aspics in life. My group of friends keeps growing from meeting people all over with similer interests.
Sorry rambling, I need sleep.....
one thing to remember, work up your loads and use what works for that rifle. Half the fun is working to find what works.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thomas

As someone else stated it may just be your cases. Where did you start your work up from? Or did I miss that already posted. If posted tell me and I will read down it again.

JK, I know you are toying with me, but in all seriousness, I load 41gr. of H-380 in my 22-250. Here where I live and where I hunt 100-105 degrees plus is fairly common in the summer. I chronograph alot of my loads. I noticed my 22-250 pushing 3850fps. with 55gr. bullets and said load on hot days. On cool days in the winter, the loads will slow down to 3650fps. And the point of impact will change an inch or so. Not enough to matter at 200 yards, but I wasn't shooting in sub-freezing temps. either.

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thomas

JK, I know you are toying with me, but in all seriousness, I load 41gr. of H-380 in my 22-250. Here where I live and where I hunt 100-105 degrees plus is fairly common in the summer. I chronograph alot of my loads. I noticed my 22-250 pushing 3850fps. with 55gr. bullets and said load on hot days. On cool days in the winter, the loads will slow down to 3650fps. And the point of impact will change an inch or so. Not enough to matter at 200 yards, but I wasn't shooting in sub-freezing temps. either.

Huh, that is interesting! I sometimes have a hard time bringing my chonograph to the range in the winter....here is why.

Ya those snowshoes really sucked too! Wast of cash!
But Next time this winter I will go out of my way to get out there with the cono too see the change.

I m also sure all your brass is the same brand? I found that my groups opened up from .5 to 3 moa if I have mixed brass. Never put 2&2 together kinda thing.

Well I got to run, my traps are boiling and need to get them out soon, and keep a eye on the burner. Dyeing them tomorrow! woohoo! ...the dye stinks!

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It snowed like that here in South Texas once. Somewhere around a trillion seconds ago.
Yes, all of my brass is of the same brand. I don't watch the lot# and maybe I should. I don't go to all of the trouble of measuring/checking volume of cases within the same brands of brass and again maybe I should. I just watch to not mix brand names in the same box or while shootin groups.

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
It snowed like that here in South Texas once. Somewhere around a trillion seconds ago.
Yes, all of my brass is of the same brand. I don't watch the lot# and maybe I should. I don't go to all of the trouble of measuring/checking volume of cases within the same brands of brass and again maybe I should. I just watch to not mix brand names in the same box or while shootin groups.

You been watching me loading and sorting and loading?

NRA LIFE MEMBER