New
Find
Notify
Tools

.222 Remington
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got two questions regarding .222 Remington.

First one is "Why is it considered more accurate than .223 Remington? Doe neck length make this much difference?"

Second one is "Can I make .222 brass from .223 brass, and how?"

Thanks for replies.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
<reload>
posted
The .222 is more accurate cartridge and holds the world record for the smallest group! If you aren't going all out for accuracy than it will be a little better than the .223 but not enough if you aren't going to precision reload with all the right material. Good Luck

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Making the 222 out of 223 can be done. But for $.20 a piece, why on earth would you? The neck down irregularities would almost certainly (IMHO) ruin any accuracy advantages the 222 has. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure why, but guns chambered in .222 do seem easier to achieve accuracy with than those chambered for .223. I have no good explanation for this.

I've made a lot of .222 brass from .223. If your .222 chamber is a bit oversized in the neck area, this helps give you a close fit, and you can adjust the headspace for a perfect fit also. Some chambers will require necks to be thinned, and most used brass, especially military, will work best after juduciously annealing.

I don't necessarily agree with Dutch that reworked brass spoils accuracy potential, but I do agree that in terms of cost, time, and trouble, it's not really worth the savings. I bought 200 rounds of .222 brass for my gun several years ago for less than $30, and it will outlast my grandchildren.

[This message has been edited by Stonecreek (edited 05-23-2002).]

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
In a real benchrest gun, it might be true that the .222 is more accurate than the .223. However, I once rechambered a .222 M722 Remington from .222 to .223, and it shot just as well after being rechambered as it had as a .222. It would shoot .5" five-shot groups with a load of 24.5 grains of IMR 3031 with 55-grain flat-based bullets using the .223 cases. The MV of this load was 3350 FPS. This rifle had 1/14" twist, and would not shoot GI ball 55-grain boattails at all well, and of course the reason I rechambered it was to be able to use GI ammo! Should have left it a .222. All I gained was about 100 FPS in muzzle speed....