New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 223 loads?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going to loading some ammo for a Bushmaster with a 16" barrel and a 1-9 twist. We are looking for a really good load with bullets from 62-75 grains
What kind of advice can I get from My fellow reloaders?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

What kind of advice can I get from My fellow reloaders?

I've had very poor results with 1-9 twist and bullets over 62 grains. 68 grain Sierra Match Kings were barely stable at 50 yards and evidence of yaw was clearly visible on the 100 yard targets. The best heavy was the Winchester 64 gr. power point but I got far better accuracy from 50-55 grain bullets regularly getting sub-MOA from most loads.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For paper punching with outstanding accuracy, Sierra's 69gr MK is great, and their 77MK is also designed to stabilize in a 1:9; if you are varminting, choices above 60gr are about nil. Sierra has brought out a 65gr spitzer, and the 64gr WinPP is also available. Not sure what Berger has in the heavy bullets, besides their match choices.

Nosler also has their 69gr available, and Remington finally released their 62gr HP Match, but I have not seen anyone stocking them yet.

RL15, Varget, WW748, AA2520 and 2230 are all very suitable for the 60gr+ pills. I use Varget for my loads (Colt AR match w/24" 1:9 tube). Data is available on the various mfg sites.

As AR's started to dominate NRA HighPower competition, the 1:9 was the ticket, then the 80gr bullets dictated going to 1:8 or 1:7. Now PacNor makes a 1:6.5 twist, for 90gr JLK bullets!

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote