Find
Notify
Tools

Clark's & Max503's powder threads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
I've been following the above mentioned threads with a lot of interest.NotRicochet has put me onto a lot of info about powder storage and deterioration. I've gone through a lot of it even though it's a little combersome. I've also aquired some info from powder manufacturers. There is a question that still remains in my mind.
1.Have any of my fellow brethren (RELOADERS) ever experienced autoignition of progressive burning smokeless powder because of deterioration??? Any genuine first hand info on anyone who has? No hear say.
2.Have any of you ever used a frost free refrigerator, outdoors preferably, to store fair quantities of smokeless powder? Looking forward to some good info. Roger [Confused]

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Hellooooo!! Is there anybodyyy out there??? [Confused]

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess nobody's home. [Roll Eyes] Seriously, I guess I use up powder so fast it doens't have time to deteriorate. [Cool] In over 49 years of handloading, I've had exactly one can of powder go bad, and I discovered it before it could auto-ignite. [Cool] [Cool]
I've given the refrigerator idea some thought, but here in southern Arizona, it would be hard pressed to keep the powder cool. It would have to be outside, of course, but with summer temperatures going as high as 117 degrees (Highest all time record) and with long periods of temps over 100 degrees, it just might strain the capabilities of the "fridge". [Frown]
Then there is the problem of removing the powder from the "fridge" and into the heat. What moisture in the air or the powder can could condense causing problems. Still, in more temperate climates, it is an idea worth pursueing.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Okay.I'll answer for ya....

First of all, no, I have had no problem with "deterioriated powder". I have had some powder for over 15 years and it has not gone "bad" as long as I did my part in proper storage.

Secondly...NEVER EVER store individual powder containers of ANY type in a closed storage "cabinet", especially steel! You have just created a bomb in case of a mishap. You can use an enclosed wooden structure, but at least one wall must be made to "blow away" at the slightest increase in pressure.

And storing ANYTHING outside a building today is just plain asking for trouble...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read of it happening once, never experienced it. Saw a fellow open a storage locker in FLA once, and the containers of several cannisters had rusted away, but the powder still looked and smelled okay. Made good fertilizer I guess.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalDan:
"Made good fertilizer I guess."[/QB]

It actually burned my lawn for about 6 sq.ft. [Embarrassed]

one of us
posted Hide Post
i keep 4 cans of powder i bought 16 years ago in a coleman cooler, lid not locked down, in a closet. i haven't been able to do much shooting but the powder is still good. primers are kept in a separate cooler.

Posts: 107 | Location: alabama | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote