New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodleigh Hydro 300gr. for 375H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought some 300 gr. Hydro solids to use in my 375H&H on an elephant hunt. Could not get them to seat deep enough to even close the bolt. I tried 76 gr. of H4350 as recommended by Woodleigh. I didn't have enough time to play with it before I left so I used the Woodleigh 300 gr. solids I have used before. Ele went down tail first head up then some insurance shots. One of the insurance shots hit the spine and was recovered. It broke the vertebrate but deflected down the spine and was badly deformed.

I want to go to the Hydro if I can get it to load. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have had no experience with this bullet.

But, the reason I developed the 375/404 was because I was never able to get any decent velocities from several 375H&H rifles.

However, if your loads are too long because of the powder charge, why not try other powders?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68617 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
I would definitely use a different powder. I have had no joy with H4350 in a 375 H&H.

With a start load of 77gr behind a 300gr Hornady BT w/ Remington cases (I was shooting paper). I had to compress the load to such an extent that the seater die was causing a ring in the jacket of the bullet just behind the exposed lead.

Let me look in my Woodleigh reloading manual for you (don't go away) Smiler

Sorry, they only suggest the use of the Hydro in the 378 Wby. There are no specific loads for it, though.

I have a few thoughts on the use of H4895, but I'd rather not suggest them. No idea who is reading and who may injure themselves.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
I've been doing a bit more thinking and I am confused.

I have loads from Woodleigh and from ADI(our powder guys) and the start load for a 300 gr bullet in the ADI manual is a grain above the max in the Woodleigh manual>

Anyway, to get back to you, the Woodleigh manual states maximum load for the 300gr solid in H&H is 76gr (as you were given).

I will quote the start and max loads for the same bullet for a few other powders - use them / don't use them - I give them for interest' sake

H4895 - Start 60.0gr - vel 2315 - max 63.0gr vel 2430
Varget - Start 61.0gr - vel 2290 - max 64.0gr vel 2440

R17 Start 68.0gr - vel 2350 - max 75.0gr vel 2590

There are a few other powders, but my shoulders are tired of leaning over typing.

Hope this helps.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
RHINO 380- and 350-grainers in my .375 Wby have to be seated deep. Try W 760 or H414 with your Woodleighs in .375 H&H seated to where the lands don't touch. BTW, W 760 with 300-grainers left room for the bullet to move / get shoved deeper into the shell because they didn't take up all the volume. You'll do best with a full to compressed load. Hope they shoot!

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The new Woodleigh Bullets Loading Manual lists 76gr of H4350 as a maximum load for the 300gr FMJ and 78gr as maximum for the 300gr PP and SN. But what is worth noting is that both of those loads are followed by a "C" indicating they are compressed loads. You will either need to use a drop tube or some other method to compact and compress the max load of H4350 or, as mentioned by others, use a different powder. For example, the R17 loads Bren7X64 supplied above should get you just under 100% loading density.

There is another alternative. You could try reducing your current load of H4350 by a grain or two. After all, what's 50 fps among friends?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
H414 / Win 760 is very good in the 375 h&h when you need more room for bullets inside the case.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info, I have plenty time to work up something before next ele hunt and will try some of the different powers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The H&H's require deep seating in that long neck, but they still have a lot of powder capacity, so its of no concern.

I normally use RL-15 in a .375..Although you can get around 2600 FPs in a max load in the .375 as per most Reloading manuals, I have found that a 300 gr. bullet at 2400 to 2500 FPS has more penetration and give you better results with both softs and solids..

The spine of an Eland, Hippo, Giraffe, Buffalo and most of all an elephant is extremely destructive to any bullet..your bullet did the job and come thru smelling like a rose! Some have come to believe all bullets must perform to absolute perfection under any circumstances but that is not always the case with any bullet.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
The H&H's require deep seating in that long neck, but they still have a lot of powder capacity, so its of no concern.

I normally use RL-15 in a .375..Although you can get around 2600 FPs in a max load in the .375 as per most Reloading manuals, I have found that a 300 gr. bullet at 2400 to 2500 FPS has more penetration and give you better results with both softs and solids..

The spine of an Eland, Hippo, Giraffe, Buffalo and most of all an elephant is extremely destructive to any bullet..your bullet did the job and come thru smelling like a rose! Some have come to believe all bullets must perform to absolute perfection under any circumstances but that is not always the case with any bullet.

Thanks, I am anxious to use the hydros and will try the R15. I have a feeling a whitetail here in Alabama is going to be the testing media. Thanks again.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
You will need to be patient to get about 20 head lined up for a shoulder shot and then go dig the bullet out of the oak tree behind them.
Good hunting!

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
You will need to be patient to get about 20 head lined up for a shoulder shot and then go dig the bullet out of the oak tree behind them.
Good hunting!

I agree, whitetails are just the next thing to hunt and I don't like to shoot paper. I see another elephant being booked for next year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Testing any solid on a whitetail is a recipe for disaster, they, in some cases, mostly when no bone is hit, will go a hell of a long ways before expiring...

I have had the same experience with soft points on deer size game with the big bore bullets designed for buffalo, they don't expand on light bodied animals and sometimes the game can run a mile or more..

The Hydro is at its best on Buffalo, elephant and Hippo.

The other factor to consider is where you hunt, that solid will pass through a deer and zing off to some metroplex, and I would only recommend it for perhaps Chicago or Fergason! Eeker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote