New
Find
Notify
Tools

thoughts on heavy for caliber bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm considering reloading for my 300 RUM with some of Sierra's 240gr Matchking, and I'm interested in other opinions. Primary use will be serious distance shooting, but hunting elk and such is not out of the question. Anyone else have experience with a similar round?

------------------
"Lard or steel?"

Posts: 26 | Location: Somewhere in New York | Registered: 28 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Jeff S>
posted
The 240 grain match king will probably not stabilize out of your RUM unless you have a custom twist. I'd guess you'd want a 1-8 or 1-9 twist but check with someone in the know like Dan Lilja or Boots Obermeyer.
Don't know what distance you are shooting but for me the 190 grain Sierra MK has always been a stellar performer from 600-1000 yards. The 180 USED to be a great long range bullet until they changed the boattail angle to the same shape as the 168. The 190 retains the long boattail which is. IMO, why it flies so much better.
As far as using MKs on game...don't do it. They will not expand. You'll be better served with a ballistic tip or SST which shouldn't blow up at the long ranges you mentioned.
Personally, I don't get the fascination with shooting an animal from a gazillion yards. For me the thrill of the hunt lies in being able to get within a reasonable range of the animal.
When I need to prove my prowess as a marksman I go compete against some High Masters in my HP club. Its much more challenging (and humbling) than trying to nail an antelope at 400+ yards and the consequences of a bad shot aren't so serious.
But to each his own.

<monyhunter>
posted
You would be crazy to use match bullets for elk!!! Sierra even states to NEVER use match bullets for hunting.

You also need to consider what twist your rifle has. If you do not have a fast enough twist, you will be launching "wounded ducks" at the target. (wobbling bullets) That will make a bad situation even worse if your target is an animal. I would say no way should you use the matchking for hunting!!

If you are thinking about using the 240 MK because of their accuracy and high B.C., you should go to www.lostriverballistic.com. They have "hunting" bullets that will have just as high B.C.

Sierra list their 240 MK B.C. @ .711
Lost River list J36 180 B.C. @ .672

The lost river is a hunting bullet, and is also only 180 grains. I would definitely go for that bullet if long range hunting and shooting are what you want to do. You can also push the 180 grain bullet much faster.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry if I led you to believe that I'd use match bullets such as the Sierra's for game...that was what I was considering for distance target shooting, as that's mainly what I'm interested in doing. However, what I meant was if anyone had experience with ANY heavy for caliber bullets that could be used for such an application. Sorry for misleading you- my fault for not waiting for the coffee to kick in previous to using the keyboard. As far as the rate of twist is concerned, I've gotten input from others that reinstated your views, as well as (of course) others which have had good experiences using similar setups. Actually, Saeed's findings on the 300 RUM reloading data pages seem to mirror BOTH opinions --- of course, the groups he has listed were at 100 yards. Anyone played with the 220 gr Sierras?

Posts: 26 | Location: Somewhere in New York | Registered: 28 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Failed to mention -- the rifle I have has a 1 in 10" twist.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If your really serious about long range hunting go to longrangehunting.com they have all kinds of ideas for really long range excess of 1000 to over 2000 yds. Have fun

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Short cases and long heavy bullets just do not match up any way you cut it...For that long bullet you need the 300 H&H or the 300 Wby, or larger, something that does not require intrusion into the powder space, robbing you of velocity at proper pressures.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the various guns that I hunt with I have found for the most part that heavy for calibur bullets usually work better for big game. some examples are 150gr. for 270 cal, 175 gr. for 7MM cal, 180-200 gr. for 30 cal, 250 gr. for 338 cal. For deer sized game the medium weights work well, however, I tend to use heavier weights for all game including deer.

Posts: 514 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Mr Purple.The only bullet I shoot out of my 300 Ultra(Sendero) is the 220gr MatchKing.I am getting a 10 shot ave velocity of 3058 with 3 shot group's around the the .4 inch range.It has also shot group's in the .2's.My wife shot one the other day at .366.I have shot a couple of different 180gr bullet's and also the 190gr MatchKing.The 220 are the way to go.At least they were for me.Go to WWW.Longrangehunting.com.And ask your ? there they are all using the MatchKing.

------------------
My wife told me if I buy another gun she would leave me.I hope the door does not hit her on the way out!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Boyd Heaton (edited 10-17-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray.....Dick Davis, the manager over at Lazzeroni, seems to be doing OK at 1000 yard matches with his "little" Lazzeroni Patriot which is the "father" of the new .300wsm and Rem ShortUltraMag....same length as a .308 and will get you 3100fps+ with a 24" barrel.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Ray. I'm using the Remington Ultra Mag, NOT the Short Mag. Case length is identical to the 300 H&H Mag..and I think the case capacity is slightly greater (don't hold me to that, I don't have my reloading manuals in front of me). That being so, have you used anything similar?
Hi Boyd, what powder are you using with that bullet? Also, is the rate of twist in your Sendero 1 in 10" as well?
Thanks for all the posts, guys...I really appreciate it.

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
I am using RL25.yes it has a 10 twist.And yes the MatchKing will expand on game.I saw a picture of an elk shot at a range that I will not disclose here with a 300gr .338 MK that looked as if it was hit with a s.c.u.d missle.That should open a can of worm's.

------------------
My wife told me if I buy another gun she would leave me.I hope the door does not hit her on the way out!!!!!