Find
Notify
Tools

New Hornady "Interbound" VS. SST.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hepp!!
Just read an artickle in the latest G&A about the new Hornady bullet, "Interbound".
Good news for me, I've always liked the Hornady bullets, and I also love bounded bullets when hunting big game.
But, I saw that they planned to keep it looking just like the SST on the outside. If I dont got this wrong, I understand that these two bullets are the opposit of each other, in performance??

The SST (Super Shock Tip): A bullet that have a high BC, good accuracy, long range bullet, that expands good on long ranges (explodes on short [Eek!] )!!??

And the "Interbound":
A bounded bullet with good accuracy, approx. the same BC as SST, a thicker web that controls the expansion. This keeps a high retained weight so it will penetrate deeply. And in my opinion; are gentle with the meat!!??

My question then will be:
WHY do Hornady use the same, RED, polymer tip on those two bullets. Polymer you can get in every colour you want. I understand that red is a "company -colour".
Lets imagine following scenario:
You have developed two different loads for your hunting, using SST, and Interbound -bullets. You have tested these round so the are alike ballisticly. You like to have the SST if the game pops up on long range. And you like to have the Interbound if it's short range.(you have Interbounds in the rifle, but change to SST if the range is long)
Would'nt it be better with different colours on the tip, then?? When you mix up these cartridges in a pocket, you wount be able to tell which bullet it has.
And in the reloading -room too, easy to mix up.
Just my opinion!!
Looking forward to test'em though!!

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
From the looks of the ads I have seen, the "INTERBOND" does not have the canelure like the SST.

If that is the case, it shoulnd not be hard to tell them appart.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm SO sorry, I was'nt born english -speaking!!! [Frown]
THANK YOU, for the correction Wildcat.
Back to business:
Ok, I did'nt get that detail with the cannelure. But if you seat the bullet so deep that the cannelure almost vanishes, it can be hard to tell in a hurry. In your reloading-room, then you have all the light, and time you'll need, it would be no problem of course.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<powderfinger>
posted
Black magic marker.
Z

<Martindog>
posted
Why not just pick one and use it? From what I saw, the new design still expands at long ranges. The main feature is that it's bonded, so it retains weight and holds together at short ranges.

If you ask me, the main factor you should use when selecting which one is what game weight you are shooting. Smallish deer and antelope, go with the original design. Bigger deer, elk, etc., go with the new design. It really isn't that difficult.

Martindog

one of us
posted Hide Post
You have a valid point. I shot Speer hot cores to sight in this fall and grand slams for elk hunting. I had to keep the cases separate because it was difficult to tell the difference - especially in difficult lighting hunting situations.

A suggestion to Hornady is in order. I am interested in following this "bonded" bullet fad. Nosler, Remington, and Hornady. At least they all got the right idea!

Posts: 67 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: 09 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen adds for these new bullets, but I don't know where I can buy them. Has anyone heard where one can purchase them? Ku-dude

posted Hide Post
Graf & Sons.

Posts: 8 | Location: Florida | Registered: 23 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I just checked Graf & Sons and did not see any InterBonds. Just the standard SSTs.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the interbound bullets are listed at the bottom of the "hornady" section.

Posts: 211 | Location: MT | Registered: 24 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Ah. Right you are. Thank you.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Ku-dude

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Is there anything you can access from the net about this line? I checked hornady's site and nothing.
Guns and Ammo?

[ 01-15-2003, 11:58: Message edited by: boilerroom ]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really am excited about this Interbond. BY the looks of the internal jacket design and being that it is 65% thicker in the shank, this bullet really might have something going for it.
I hope by next month I can try a few out on a few hogs in 270 130 grain.

[ 01-15-2003, 12:36: Message edited by: smallfry ]

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Darn it... I spoke to soon, guess they wont be ready till march ehhh?

[ 01-15-2003, 12:40: Message edited by: smallfry ]

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Different colour primer!

I use 90gr and 80gr BTs out of my 6mm rem. They are impossible to tell apart so I use WLR (gold) in one and federal in the other (silver)

Seems to me Hornady have the cannelure on the wrong bullet. Big heavy bullet likely to be used in mag cases needs a cannelure. A BT clone likely to be used on deer out of 7mm08s etc doesn't.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the sst's in 260,7/08 and 06 since they came out,have taken deer from 45 to 200yds with them ,haven't had one to blow up yet,all were complete pass throughs even shooting through both shoulders.The new bullet would probably be better in the mag calibers though because of the higher fps.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
460wby - Are you thinking like the Nosler Ballistic tips? - Different color for different diameter bullet. That color coding thing has saved me some aggrevation in the past.

Posts: 309 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 460wby:

Ok, I did'nt get that detail with the cannelure. But if you seat the bullet so deep that the cannelure almost vanishes, it can be hard to tell in a hurry. In your reloading-room, then you have all the light, and time you'll need, it would be no problem of course.

The cannelure is pretty much located @ the beginning of the ogive section. One would have to seat the bullet really deep [Eek!] to hide it.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote